The Ms. Senior America pageant was created in Atlantic City to celebrate the older ladies of America and challenge notions of beauty and its place in American culture. Photographer Brian Finke was asked by Good Housekeeping to “do his thing” and capture all the drama and glamour of the pageant in his brash and glossy style.
“I’ve photographed a lot of competitions over the years such as cheerleading competitions and bodybuilding says Brian. “I’ve alway been interested in the subtle moments backstage where the anticipation and vulnerability comes out in the contestants, they’re very telling of the personalities of the people.” Capturing contestants aged 60 – 90, a range of emotions are portrayed in glitzy colours and intimate crops, yet Brian is careful to combine stage shots with behind the scenes images to create a richer narrative.
“[The contestants] loved the attention, they are there to be seen and perform; being there shooting was just adding to the scene,” he says. Like with many of his other projects, the photographer made sure to go in with an open mind. “I always like showing up without preconceived ideas and photographing what I’m drawn to. I was very impressed watching the ladies own it on stage – I wanted them to look amazing.”
- Graphic designer Angharad Hengyu Owen on textual shapes and wandering poems
- Chase Middleton’s candid, bizarre and compelling photographs of strangers
- Illustrator Marie Jacotey on depicting emotions we daren’t talk about
- Humans’ impact on Earth inspired Bleed’s custom typefaces for Anthopros
- Girls! Illustrator Martina Paukova opens her first major show in London
- OOF magazine explores the world of art and football
- Nike’s latest ad features 258 young Londoners proving that “Nothing Beats a Londoner”
- Monument Valley designer Ken Wong releases interactive comic mobile game, Florence
- Meet graphic designer Jonathan Isaacson and his hybrid portfolio
- Artist claims Kendrick Lamar video for Black Panther song used her work without permission
- Bureau Bertrand Clément’s portfolio represents the importance of playful graphic design
- Official portraits of Barack and Michelle Obama have been unveiled