Animators Daniel Oeffinger and Ben Hill have collaborated on a new animated advertising spot for US lighting and electronics manufacturer Cree.
This latest animated spot for Cree’s Better Light campaign, part of a series produced by creative agency Buck where Daniel is creative director, features the lighting products anthropomorphised as helping hands in the lives of the consumer.
The animation distills the technology of Cree’s lighting into metaphor. As hands the light beams are shown to open doors, pass across lost objects, alerts the owner to dangers and waves the consumer off as they leave the house: “it knows when you’re there, and when you’re not…making your more productive at work, linking up so fixtures work as a team…”
The point is delivered with a degree of whimsy and humour befitting the animated style, taking a homely approach towards selling the brand’s products. Buck explains: “With a clean and bold take on illustration, we worked to support the message that from snakes and soccer games…better light does indeed change everything.”
Creative Director Daniel Oeffinger has previously conceived and directed the other animated spots in the Cree series, as well as an informercial campaign for charity:water alongside audio studio Antfood, and spots for Google’s Material Design team.
Lead designer Ben Hill says: “I come from a print background…many of the commercial projects that I’ve done lean heavily towards illustration, character and story based approaches — It’s especially nice when those worlds collide.”
- Why should you apply to The Graduates 2019? Three grads tell us how it helped their career
- “I absolutely hated it”: Heath West on why he left architecture for the art industry
- Hubert Crabières captures a brilliantly absurd celebrating family for Edicola
- Illustrator Holly St Clair uses the rhythm of a joke in her portfolio of sculptures, textiles and prints
- Jules Durand aims to “design cool new fonts” beyond the Latin alphabet
- For Alice Franchetti, graphic design is the sweet spot where maths and intuition meet
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!