Seoul-based illustrator Daye Kim’s main motivation for being an illustrator is the fact it allows her to do “cool things for a living”. Her work sees her painting people and things in a simple, uncomplicated way, putting them in various everyday situations. “I like depicting fragments of situations, wondering what others would imagine when they see those characters in my illustrations,” says Daye. “I get inspiration from my friends or cool people I see in photographs or just people who walk past me. Then I put them together into my story with colours and I find it real fun.”
Using solid colours with occasional black linework, Daye’s people-based works are harmonious slices of neatness where each element has a purpose and sits against a backdrop of pastel hues. Her spontaneous approach to work sees her draw stories that “spring into [her] head” rather than spending time planning out ideas and concepts. Typically Daye works digitally on her illustrations, using a combination of Photoshop and Illustrator to achieve pixel-like textures that contrast against perfectly plump shapes.
- Illustrator Ben Kopp’s nostalgia-drenched personal work
- Iggy Ldn's poignant new film Silk reclaims the essence of the jazz era in the 21st century
- Ways of Seeing: Laurie Rowan fills FACT's architectural space with a troop of exploring characters
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a journey to "surf discovery" even though he's terrible at surfing
- Photographer Sam Gregg shoots the true face of Naples
- Prolific artist Miroco Machiko’s animal menagerie
- Netflix unveils Netflix Sans, a new custom typeface developed with Dalton Maag
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- A chat with the Orwellian mastermind in charge of the UK town known as Scarfolk
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"
- Original sets and puppets from Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs to be exhibited in London