Stand by to fill your boots because the daddy of design blogs has unveiled both its 50 best book designs and 50 best book covers of last year. Continuing a tradition first started by the American Institute of Graphic Arts in 1922, Design Observer has honoured 100 titles it believes encapsulate the best examples of a craft fighting for its future in the digital age.
“It is clear from the winning entries that designers and publishers are not just resigned to the new world but are actively challenging it,” Design Observer wrote in a blog post. "The books this year demonstrate astonishing attention to craft, as well as startling ambitions to disrupt expectations about what constitutes a “traditional” book in the first place.
“Covers as well do double and triple duty, functioning not just as alluring packaging on the bookstore shelf, but as telegraphic icons in the realm of online marketing and sortable rubrics in online libraries.”
It went on: “The designers who selected the fifty best books 92 years ago would be baffled, and perhaps even outraged, by some of the examples of the craft we honour today. Yet one hopes that they would recognise a familiar commitment to the authors, the readers, and the common culture that make these achievements so valuable, and so indispensable today.”
There were some things we knew and some we didn’t but a special mention to Everything Studio whose design for Curiosity and Method: Ten Years of Cabinet Magazine by Sina Najafi was given the nod in both categories.
Book Design Winners (Selection)
Book Cover Design Winners (Selection)
- HelloMe celebrates its tenth birthday and reflects on the past decade of design
- Made you look! It's Nice That takes over Coal Drops Yard with Double Take
- Photographer Tommy Keith examines familial life, having been conceived via sperm donation
- “It’s like you’re a doctor in an emergency room. It’s high pressure”: Christoph Niemann on his creative career
- Wessel Baarda’s photography work invites the viewer into a land of the unknown
- Meji Alabi: the filmmaker responsible for your favourite music videos
- Hit Netflix show Abstract announces the six creatives starring in its second series
- Lego reveals first brand campaign in 30 years, Rebuild the World
- “I always thought Photoshop was a glorified MS paint”: James Lacey on his journey into design
- DixonBaxi launches a new club identity for AC Milan
- Wang Zhi-Hong on his shifting approach of “hiding information” in graphic design
- “We are adamant that our projects pass the test of time”: Principal on its designs for Yoko Ono and Pierre Dorion