New York based producer and DJ Anthony Naples has been an It’s Nice That favourite ever since we first heard the effervescent Mad Disrespect on some sweaty dancefloor somewhere back in 2012. We were hooked from that half-remembered moment on.
Anthony’s most recent release is Take Me With You, a stunning blend of downtempo cosmic wonkiness, post-rave piano slop, mutant Italo-not-Italo, deep space deep house, and library music from a better world than the one we inhabit. In short, keep a copy of it next to your Berocca the next time a big night out is on the cards.
Being huge fans of Anthony, we were beyond happy when he got in touch and asked if he could put something together for the Friday Mixtape.
What he’s assembled for this final transmission from 2018 is a stash of tracks so perfectly pulled together that we’re on the verge of booking a flight to JFK in the hope that he’ll let us visit his apartment so we can rifle through his record collection.
You won’t hear many other mixtapes that can take you from the dubbed-out bliss of Terekke’s monumental Mix91 to the gloss ‘n’ sheen of Justin Timberlake’s Until the End of Time via the 34 minute headfuck that is Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement’s Jungle is a Shapeshifter and the diving bell deep soul of Living in the Past by Unnatural Funk Band.
Tuck in right now. Consider it our Christmas present.
It’s Nice That: Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
Anthony Naples: First of all, Hello It’s Nice That.
I figured in order to keep some sort of theme, I made the playlist reflect my album Take Me With You, almost as a companion piece to the album… if it was made by a bunch of other people, in an alternate universe where I sing sometimes and strum the acoustic Geetar.
INT: When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
AN: Ideally at your mate’s house after the party AND the after party.
INT: What song or album did you listen to repeatedly as a teenager and why?
AN: Panda Bear’s Person Pitch is a record I discovered on a nice trip with friends when I was 16, and now, 12 years later, I still play it every time I take off on an airplane to ground me. Admittedly it’s my favourite record of all time. An easy one, I guess!
INT: What’s on the horizon for Anthony Naples?
AN: I’m going to go get lunch with DJ Python.
INT: If a feature film about you was to be made, what song would be on the trailer and why?
AN: Walk Idiot Walk by The Hives. It would be some sort of spy thriller and for some reason, that’s the song that came to mind immediately. First thought, best thought.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories