New York based producer and DJ Anthony Naples has been an It’s Nice That favourite ever since we first heard the effervescent Mad Disrespect on some sweaty dancefloor somewhere back in 2012. We were hooked from that half-remembered moment on.
Anthony’s most recent release is Take Me With You, a stunning blend of downtempo cosmic wonkiness, post-rave piano slop, mutant Italo-not-Italo, deep space deep house, and library music from a better world than the one we inhabit. In short, keep a copy of it next to your Berocca the next time a big night out is on the cards.
Being huge fans of Anthony, we were beyond happy when he got in touch and asked if he could put something together for the Friday Mixtape.
What he’s assembled for this final transmission from 2018 is a stash of tracks so perfectly pulled together that we’re on the verge of booking a flight to JFK in the hope that he’ll let us visit his apartment so we can rifle through his record collection.
You won’t hear many other mixtapes that can take you from the dubbed-out bliss of Terekke’s monumental Mix91 to the gloss ‘n’ sheen of Justin Timberlake’s Until the End of Time via the 34 minute headfuck that is Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement’s Jungle is a Shapeshifter and the diving bell deep soul of Living in the Past by Unnatural Funk Band.
Tuck in right now. Consider it our Christmas present.
It’s Nice That: Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
Anthony Naples: First of all, Hello It’s Nice That.
I figured in order to keep some sort of theme, I made the playlist reflect my album Take Me With You, almost as a companion piece to the album… if it was made by a bunch of other people, in an alternate universe where I sing sometimes and strum the acoustic Geetar.
INT: When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
AN: Ideally at your mate’s house after the party AND the after party.
INT: What song or album did you listen to repeatedly as a teenager and why?
AN: Panda Bear’s Person Pitch is a record I discovered on a nice trip with friends when I was 16, and now, 12 years later, I still play it every time I take off on an airplane to ground me. Admittedly it’s my favourite record of all time. An easy one, I guess!
INT: What’s on the horizon for Anthony Naples?
AN: I’m going to go get lunch with DJ Python.
INT: If a feature film about you was to be made, what song would be on the trailer and why?
AN: Walk Idiot Walk by The Hives. It would be some sort of spy thriller and for some reason, that’s the song that came to mind immediately. First thought, best thought.
- Caterina Bianchini on her three processes when designing posters
- Friday Mixtape: illustrator pals Jan Buchczik and Timo Lenzen on their studio tunes
- B.A.M's new identity for White Cube is an “evolution rather than a revolution”
- Mosh Pit Simulator, perhaps the craziest VR game yet, launches later this month
- Fantastic Man releases What Men Wear, an anthology of male dressing in the 21st Century
- Interior Lives documents the unassimilated lives of the largest Chinese population outside of Asia
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- Betina Du Toit's naturally-beautiful images are “stripped back from the non-essential”
- Giacomo Gambineri on shifting his creative career from graphic designer to illustrator
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice