Now, here at It’s Nice That, we like deep house. Come to our studio and you’ll see a bunch of us sat behind laptops nodding our heads to Theo Parrish 12"s and Jus-Ed radio sets. We also like reggaeton. Which means we were always going to be super into the music that Brian Piñeyro makes as DJ Python.
Last year’s triumphant Dulce Compañia LP — which was released on Anthony Naples’ Incienso imprint — came wrapped in one of 2017’s more memorable sleeves, and it’s diving bell deep blue is fittingly reflective of the musical content within. DJ Python’s sonic world is one where sub-aqueous sub-bass bubbles under the stiff, percussive surface.
Given that we loved the album so much, it felt right to reach out to Brian and kindly ask for a Friday Mixtape. Happily, he was in a good mood, said “yes please,” and turned in an expansive 38 track selection which spans everything from a sentimental Gregory Isaacs’ reggae classic to Cocteau Twins deep cuts, via a cult classic recorded by a pair of Australian nuns back in the late-70s.
Oh, and DJs everywhere – there’s a brand new DJ Python track on the recently-released, Moxie-compiled On Loop which, as ever, is an essential purchase for all you selectors out there.
It’s Nice That: Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
DJ Python: Just songs that I’ve been enjoying listening to and usually seem to listen to around this time of the year.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
DJ Python: I’d listen to it while walking around probably. Could be good sitting at your desk at work too.
What song or album did you listen to repeatedly as a teenager and why?
DJ Python: Polynomial C by Aphex Twin. Never heard anything like it I was taken aback for so long – still am.
What’s on the horizon for DJ Python?
DJ Python: I really want to just focus on making more music and putting out more cohesive records.
If a feature film about DJ Python was to be made, what song would be on the trailer and why?
DJ Python: Lil Mac – I Need Wheels and it’d just be Fast & Furious 9.
- King Kong is not just a magazine, it's a collectable item
- Friday Mixtape: Photographer Laura Lewis makes us a soundtrack for Japanese love hotels
- Graphic designer Lino Santo turns circumstances and relationships into visual outcomes
- Annu Kilpeläinen intricately illustrates everything from dick pics to car interiors
- Transient Space is a public gallery in a non-space
- Chaotic, colourful and absurdly creative, it's Landfill Editions latest release
- The internet responds to Banksy’s self-destructive act of art
- Photographer Andrea Artemisio's wacky realisations breathe fresh air into magazine editorial
- Rudeboy: The Story of Trojan Records documents the origins of Jamaican and British youth culture
- A painting of "The Republican Club" is now hanging in the White House
- Good Type’s new fonts continue to rivet the typographic community
- Area of Work's CGI objects will make you do a double take