Now, here at It’s Nice That, we like deep house. Come to our studio and you’ll see a bunch of us sat behind laptops nodding our heads to Theo Parrish 12"s and Jus-Ed radio sets. We also like reggaeton. Which means we were always going to be super into the music that Brian Piñeyro makes as DJ Python.
Last year’s triumphant Dulce Compañia LP — which was released on Anthony Naples’ Incienso imprint — came wrapped in one of 2017’s more memorable sleeves, and it’s diving bell deep blue is fittingly reflective of the musical content within. DJ Python’s sonic world is one where sub-aqueous sub-bass bubbles under the stiff, percussive surface.
Given that we loved the album so much, it felt right to reach out to Brian and kindly ask for a Friday Mixtape. Happily, he was in a good mood, said “yes please,” and turned in an expansive 38 track selection which spans everything from a sentimental Gregory Isaacs’ reggae classic to Cocteau Twins deep cuts, via a cult classic recorded by a pair of Australian nuns back in the late-70s.
Oh, and DJs everywhere – there’s a brand new DJ Python track on the recently-released, Moxie-compiled On Loop which, as ever, is an essential purchase for all you selectors out there.
It’s Nice That: Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
DJ Python: Just songs that I’ve been enjoying listening to and usually seem to listen to around this time of the year.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
DJ Python: I’d listen to it while walking around probably. Could be good sitting at your desk at work too.
What song or album did you listen to repeatedly as a teenager and why?
DJ Python: Polynomial C by Aphex Twin. Never heard anything like it I was taken aback for so long – still am.
What’s on the horizon for DJ Python?
DJ Python: I really want to just focus on making more music and putting out more cohesive records.
If a feature film about DJ Python was to be made, what song would be on the trailer and why?
DJ Python: Lil Mac – I Need Wheels and it’d just be Fast & Furious 9.
- “I’m a believer in form”: Geoff McFetridge on his new book of introspective drawings
- A rundown of our Nicer Tuesdays highlights of 2018
- Eight creatives from around the world tell us what made their city tick in 2018
- “Are we all avatars now?” asks digital painter Zak Keene
- Mohamad Abdouni on documenting an “important time in Arab queer culture”
- MUJI talks us through the brand’s famously minimal design aesthetic
- DIA channels NYC and gives Squarespace its signature kinetic treatment in brand refresh
- Laughing at the world of graphic design with Tracy Ma
- Alex Gamsu Jenkins’ comics remind us of how gross we really are
- Pantone's Colour of the Year 2019 has been announced and it's... Living Coral!
- The animated short giving Isle of Dogs a run for its money
- Caleb Halter's instinctual design practice produces considered and refined work