As a teenager the mother daughter relationship can be an intense one. At times you wish she got your humour more, “I’m not being rude –it’s funny!” and understood that most of the time when you say you’re fine, obviously it means the world is ending. But then there’s times when you’re on the same side and need guidance from her, like assistance in predicaments such as: “Can you sneak me out so Dad doesn’t see how short my skirt is?”
While Julia Fullerton-Batten captures less of this domestic aspect and more of the surreal and fragile in her Mothers and Daughters project, the same sentiments are there as she explores the complex relationship through documenting personal memories. Shooting genuine mothers and daughters, Julia wants us to see the tenuity and vulnerability in these relationships which is achieved through this powerful crispness and dramatic filmic quality she’s given the shots. Everything from the set design and clothes to the composition is beautifully eerie and the narrative behind each of these images draws you in.
Many of Julia’s projects address the progression from teenager to womanhood in this unique and visually impactful way such as Teenage Stories that also caught my attention. Being shot in model villages the girls have both literally and metaphorically outgrown the world they live in portraying the various changes and tribulations teenagers go through in this mesmerising day-dream way.
- Contra Journal shines a light on visual responses to conflict and migration
- The complex and unique relationship of sisterhood as captured by Sophie Harris-Taylor
- “I like to retreat into a world that isn’t defining an ideal form”: meet artist Emma Kohlmann
- Artist Melissa Kitty Jarram is updating Greek myths for 2018
- Graphic designer Sam Wood’s personal practice is dictated by his own frameworks and rules
- Supermundane comes over all nostalgic for latest series I Know It’s Over
- Coca-Cola reveals custom typeface, TCCC Unity, inspired by its modernist heritage
- Muji to open “anti-gorgeous, anti-cheap” hotels in China and Japan
- Pee on this Ikea print ad, and if you’re pregnant, you get a crib half price
- School teacher fired for showing nude paintings in an art lesson
- Pop superstar Justin Bieber turns painter with first original piece, Calvary
- Paris Syndrome: photographer Francois Prost explores a replica city in China