A special summertime student of the month for August – graphic designer Laura Hobson. Having just completed her foundation at Burton College she is heading to university in the autumn, but she is already in-demand. Having won the UK heats of the Young Creative Chevrolet competition – and coming in second across the whole of Europe – we’re sure to be seeing more of her top-quality work that fuses colour and clarity with aplomb.
At the time of making/creating the project for Chevrolet, who or what was your biggest influence?
After looking at commemorative car posters throughout history, the Mercedes Benz poster created by Anita Büscher in the 1980s really stood out because of its illustrative style. From that, I decided to work more of my own illustrations into the poster.
What was the most valuable thing you learnt at art school?
From my foundation I learnt to explore ideas more and to always challenge myself.
What would you have done if you hadn’t gone to art college?
Probably some kind of maths based career (I did A-level maths), which is a bit crazy to think about!
Where are you making/creating most of your work?
I create most of my work at home, but I also work freelance at a few design studios, so just wherever there’s space!
What are you working on at the moment?
I’m currently on a month’s placement at Poke London and after that I want to develop some more pieces for a series of zoo infographics that I’ve designed. I’ve also got a bit of freelance website design work booked that I’m planning to finish before starting uni.
- Brr it’s cold in here, it must be Best of the Web in the atmosphere!
- Is it real, or is it not? Mirror Mirror's identity for Integrated 2017
- Alex Moy’s animation explores where our minds drift off to when we’re distracted
- Friday Mixtape: Jake Chapman’s band, Funhole
- Islena Neira’s halftone animation depicts a sleepless night
- Hezin O’s charmingly illustrated 2018 calendar inspired by A-Z cards for children
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Renowned graphic designer Ivan Chermayeff has died aged 85
- Marina Lewandowska’s graduation project shows graphic design flair and function
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Photographer Ivar Wigan on his new collaboration with larrydavid420
- Loud, vibrant, evocative: Paul Gorman tells The Story of The Face