Have you ever done that really awkward thing where you meet someone who you’re connected with on social media and you drop a detail into conversation that suggests you’ve studied their Facebook photos a little too closely? For example: “Hey I like paella too!” “What?” “Um, nothing.”
Course you have – it’s the way the digital world works and the same happens with creatives; you come across their work, follow them on Instagram, feast on their Twitter musings and before you know it you have a full-fledged online obsession. But the problem is you don’t really know them and that’s where Bas Berkhout and Marije Kuiper’s project Like Knows Like comes in.
The idea is simple enough; to make short documentaries about “the people we admire” but whom the duo have only previously encountered online. The films feature the likes of Swiss Miss (aka Tina Roth Eisenberg), Jessica Hische and Kelsey Brookes and perfectly combine insights into both the process and personality of the subjects to create intimate and hugely watchable pieces. They also introduce us to something called an iPhoneographer, so win-win.
- Graphic designer Anne Büttner is drawn towards all-things bold, clashing and experimental
- Graphic designer Marie Ducrocq's future-facing aesthetics are supported by thorough research
- The poet laureate of Twitter Brian Bilston creates four new poems from Adobe Stock images
- Photographer Daniel Stier on how he transforms “cheap mass-produced things” into art
- Fragility, despair and boredom are the pillars to Madeleine Pfull’s paintings of elderly women
- Go on a quest for cheesy chips with Sarah Hingley’s choose your own adventure zine
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!