Today’s offerings from The London Design Festival centre around the launch of the stunning new book celebrating Danish textile firm Kvadrat. Much respected among the creative community but sometimes little known in the wider world, the beautiful book designed by Graphic Thought Facility and overseen by the legendary Peter Saville shows just why the firm is so highly regarded, by dint of their excellent collaborations with the likes of Tord Boontje, the Bouroullec Brothers and Olafur Eliasson. Below you can here an extended interview with Peter Saville and with several of those who have contributed.
In the foreword, Peter Saville explains that he is “evangelical” about Kvadrat because “they work according to the kind of template that one idealised in the past; relationships between artist, designer and manufacturer that are driven by belief and commitment, in the way the cannon of great design has always been forged.”
This book tells the story of those collaborations, and even with the wealth of gorgeous imagery GTF have dope a predictably excellent job of marshalling the material. A special word on the cover – the unwashed coloured wool comes from the technicolour-marked sheep lends the book an immediately intriguing and gently iconoclastic feel.
Interwoven: Kvadrat Textile and Design is available now.
- Malika Favre talks about studying engineering, her first job and tight deadlines from The New Yorker
- Say what you see, it’s Best of the Web!
- The art of plane watching captured by Mindaugas Kavaliauskas
- Friday Mixtape: escape from the world with Xenoula's ethereal mix
- Towers of Thanks: Res photographs his mother's life working for Donald Trump
- A world of pain: Sixteen Journal's latest issue
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner