Luuk Janssens is a graphic designer based in Rotterdam whose projects have a modernist approach about them through their methodical, simple yet considered execution.
Last year he graduated with a masters from the Sint Lucas Academy in Ghent, Belgium, and it’s monochrome aplenty in Luuk’s portfolio, which mainly consists of small booklets and posters. The Powerama Directory is a book which visualises notions of power. “It functions both as a catalogue and dictionary,” says Luuk, and its fixed layout combined with chaotic, almost abstract visuals creates a nice contrast. Powerama is poster series that directly links to the directory by uncovering the “many ways in which power can be demonstrated”.
Other stand-out projects which showcase Luuk’s talents include SLA3GV15 – a yearbook publication showing all the students of the final bachelor year at Sint Lucas Antwerpen. “By stapling it on the far right edge, the booklet functions as a collection of centrefolds,” says the designer. In Wasat he creates pastel-hued sheet music for Com Truise’s song of the same name. “In this project the sounds are interpreted and visualised in a free way.” It’s these nuances and details that allude to how he might approach a project for a client, where his focus is on form and function rather than bells and whistles.
- Photographer Sophie Stafford on shooting the Saharan desert’s largest celebration
- Taylor Benson's “old school” illustrations are inspired by anxiety, Seinfeld and 70s cartoons
- Rade Petrasevic reimagines still lifes in his vibrant, large-scale drawings
- Boys and beer: animator Laura Jayne Hodkin's hilariously unapologetic depiction of female friendship
- Photographer Jim Jocoy's book chronicles San Francisco’s booming 1970s music scene
- Get to know Jyan Ku's lovely hybrid of "friendly art, not difficult art"
- The Scouts rebrand aims to reflect a “more relevant image of Scouting”
- Airbnb launches new bespoke font Cereal, designed with Dalton Maag for online and offline fluidity
- Benedikt Luft's identity for Lazy represents the joyful nature of a drunken outdoor party
- Sound and vision: Parquet Courts' A. Savage on life as an artist and musician
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- From being bad to burping glitter: things we learned at The Adobe 99U Conference