Japanese animator and singer-songwriter Manabu Himeda’s latest short is an upbeat, brightly coloured jaunt through town. The animation tells the story of a man who takes his family on drive in a big car. Things go awry though when he drives so fast that his family and friends blow away, as do his clothes and body hair.
Super embarrassed, he then realises that as he’s naked he can just have a bath, which coincidently is where his loved ones all blew away to – a giant bath tub. This is the kind of film where you just have to embrace the bizarre and fully immerse yourself into Manabu’s trippy world. Titled Play Like a Driver, the animation includes English subtitles that allow non-natives to follow the narrative, which become part of the charm of the film.
There’s real beauty in the actual animation of the short, where Manabu’s hand-drawn cartoony characters stretch, warp and merge from scene to scene, matching the fast pace of the song that plays around it. Humorous, weird but utterly joyful, the animator takes a simple narrative and somehow makes it mesmerising.
- It’s Nice That and Camden Council host evening of talks by LGBTQ creatives
- Michael Marcelle’s photography is “like a broken funhouse mirror in a gay haunted house”
- Books From The Future's experimentally collaborative and investigative publishing
- Issue four of Beauty Papers screws the formula of beauty, giving it a “brave new face”
- Molly Matalon shoots a fashion editorial in the desert, and things get brotherly
- Laura Callaghan on illustrating a lifestyle where women make all decisions
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- North reveals full Science Museum rebrand, and reacts to online criticism
- GraphicDesign& outline three projects that successfully support and impact mental wellbeing
- Dove apologises and removes advert showing a black woman becoming a white woman
- Apple announces launch of gender neutral emojis
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity