Apartamento founder and creative director Nacho Alegre has made a series of food monsters for German publication Zeit Magazin.
“So I got the commission from Andreas Wellnitz from Zeit Magazin to do a shoot on recipes had been accidentally found out,” Nacho explains. “I thought kitchen accidents…. food frankensteins…. monsters So I thought it could be a fun thing to try.”
“I called [art director] Ana Dominguez to help me do it, and we tried a couple approaches to it,” Nacho says. “We didn’t know if to go more dramatic or try a more infantile idea. In the end we went with these silly eyes which made the whole idea even more stupid, which is part of what made it fun.”
More curious than scary, the pallid-looking creatures are built from a stack of ingredients probably best left on the chopping board. By combining sheets of raw pastry, apples, grapes, grated cheese, nachos, uncooked sausages, beansprouts and pretzels, Nacho’s frankenstein creations are brought to life by the addition of astutely-placed plastic goggly eyes which lend them a human-like charm.
- “I always thought Photoshop was a glorified MS paint”: James Lacey on his journey into design
- “If I am flagging on a shoot, she directs me”: Matthew Stone on working with FKA Twigs
- French illustrator Nicolas Ridou makes “the atmosphere the story” in his hypnotic works
- A routine, good music and Charlie Bones: Sean Bate on his graphic design inspirations
- In The Boys, Rick Schatzberg photographs his group in their 66th year of friendship
- Moroccan heritage and western cues collide in photographer Mous Lambrabat’s portfolio
- “All you see is lazy photography everywhere”: Martin Parr discusses his career, Brexit and obsession
- The work of Xiangyu Liu is weird and fantastically unpredictable (some NSFW)
- Caterina Bianchini Studio designs a dog-themed identity for a conveyer belt cheese restaurant
- Ikea invites people to “try on” Virgil Abloh furniture collection at LFW
- Hans Findling on his experimental and multidisciplinary approach to design
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!