At Nicer Tuesdays, photographer Eliza Hatch gave a candid account of the beginnings of Cheer Up Luv and its incredible impact. The online project features portraits by Eliza accompanied by interviews with victims of street harassment, aiming to create a platform for stories and promote discussion around the subject.
“It wasn’t just that it was happening but the lack of awareness around it,” she explained, telling of the responses she got when asking friends and acquaintances if they had experiences to share. “I had two kinds of reaction: ‘Yes of course, which one of my ten stories do you want’; and ‘I might, but I don’t know if it counts’". She also cites a male friend’s reaction, who assumed all her friends were exaggerating the scale of the issue.
Eliza goes on to talk about her creative approach to the portraits. “Every shoot is suited to that woman. I just wanted it to be as simple as possible, using public settings that were relatable to everyone… and the woman staring at you, telling you their story.”
- Luis Alberto Rodriguez photographs use contorted and twisted limbs to express emotion
- Season Zine's Felicia Pennant on how the publication puts female football fans first
- Record label Melody as Truth is carving out a woozy, spacey audio-visual niche
- “Create a flag that represents your own Island” – The amazing entries from the #MyIslandFlag Insta brief
- We ask Nadine Redlich, Wieden+Kennedy and more to visualise their highlights of the World Cup
- Friday Mixtape: Caterina Bianchini's mix to listen to "In your pants! On the bus! Walking! Running!"
- Photographer Jack Johnstone's dreamy images are so soft they're almost otherworldly
- “Unporn” is the photo stock collection for those suggestive, naughty moments
- KangHee Kim's images are as satisfying to create as they are to look at
- Penguin unveils striking series of redesigned Jack Kerouac books
- Veteran designer Sir Kenneth Grange has reconfigured the pint glass
- Sophy Hollington’s striking tarot deck combines mysticism with a glam-punk contemporary twist