At Nicer Tuesdays, photographer Eliza Hatch gave a candid account of the beginnings of Cheer Up Luv and its incredible impact. The online project features portraits by Eliza accompanied by interviews with victims of street harassment, aiming to create a platform for stories and promote discussion around the subject.
“It wasn’t just that it was happening but the lack of awareness around it,” she explained, telling of the responses she got when asking friends and acquaintances if they had experiences to share. “I had two kinds of reaction: ‘Yes of course, which one of my ten stories do you want’; and ‘I might, but I don’t know if it counts’". She also cites a male friend’s reaction, who assumed all her friends were exaggerating the scale of the issue.
Eliza goes on to talk about her creative approach to the portraits. “Every shoot is suited to that woman. I just wanted it to be as simple as possible, using public settings that were relatable to everyone… and the woman staring at you, telling you their story.”
- Extinction Rebellion on the creative industries: “What is the cultural sector even for?”
- “I’ve landed on my planet now”: Sebaldo on refining his bonkers animated characters
- Syncope by Virgile Flores explores the duality between graphic design and music
- Louise Daneels makes playful, ceramic illustrations of everyday objects
- Maroesjka Lavigne’s debut monograph captures unforgettable landscapes and their inhabitants
- Painter Igor Moritz's vivid paintings express the colours of inner life
- Turning her lens to those around her, Danna Singer reveals the story of a working class community
- Kyle Berger’s Photoshopped images exist in “a post-truth timeline”
- The climate crisis is daunting, but as a creative professional, there’s much you can do
- Elizabeth Hibbard’s unsettling photographs examine subjective experience with a visceral gaze
- “My creativity is sparked by music and architecture”: meet graphic designer Stephanie Specht
- Adventure Time’s finale nominated for Emmy, alongside BoJack and Big Mouth