During the beginning of Mahaneela’s talk at October’s Nicer Tuesdays, the multidisciplinary creative showed a slide listing all of the job titles she’s adopted over the years. “Photographer, director, writer, digital strategist, consultant, communications manager, event curator, music manager, producer, project manager, make up artist, stylist, public speaker,” it read, and the rest of Mahaneela’s talk went on to prove how being a jack of all trades may be the best way to put a foot forward in the creative industry.
After dropping out of university, Mahaneela picked up photography while working as a social media manager. However, despite taking photographs for over six years, she was still reluctant to call herself a photographer, thinking she couldn’t do both things at once.
Mahaneela then went on to explain her initial feelings about wanting to sit in one box for a career. Considering her background – a heritage that includes Ghanian, Indian and Ugandan family members – Mahaneela thinks herself “a person of the world”. As a result of this, “the dichotomy or even the trichotomy of my identity was really confusing for me and it built this sense of wanting to do, or be, one thing within me,” gradually translating itself into her “journey of creative discovery”.
Eventually, however, Mahaneela saw that her differing interests and the wide-spanning areas of creativity that she as an individual can tap into could only a positive thing, and an enjoyable one too. Mahaneela ended her talk by encouraging everyone else to not put themselves in one box, but smash the box instead.
- Paul Wright's paintings of Peggy Mitchell and Del Boy are bound to make you smile
- Daniel Wenzel faces the question of automation in creativity head-on in Automatic Type Design
- Abracradama studio designs a crafty and tonal identity for Hap ceramics
- A beginner’s guide to the world of digital art
- Be wowed by recent graduate Kieran McLister’s detail-driven stop motion animations
- “Click before anybody gets too comfortable”: New work from Daniel Arnold
- Graphic Design is Mental: Tips for looking after your state of mind as a designer
- Alan Titchmarsh stars in new campaign for Adidas’ Gardening Club collection
- Banksy opens his own store, Gross Domestic Product, in wake of legal dispute
- Moonlight, Ex Machina and The Witch go to print in three books designed by Actual Source
- Sometimes Always’ identity for São Paulo bar Caracol has over 10 billion compositions
- Basile Fournier speculates on how technology will affect the role of the future designer