Josh McKenna’s illustrations are those you will undoubtedly recognise. Commissioned by both Google and Instagram this year, Josh’s celebratory illustrations of “what it’s like to be gay” for Pride have been one of the most shareable hits of 2017. Largely down to his illustration skill and due to his ability to represent “fun and sassy” characteristics, “but cover sensitive topics as well”.
Talking through his sticker set for Google, followed by a sticker for Instagram on the same subject in June, at Nicer Tuesdays Josh gave insight to the back and forth with clients, (speedos are “too risqué to approve by the way”) and how the finished results have been shared all over the world. Due to such demand, his Instagram sticker is now a permanent fixture on the app.
- Chris Brooks has spent a decade rediscovering his family's 100-year-old printing press
- Spanish artist Ignasi Monreal firmly places classical painting in the now
- Kai Tang on how book design is timeless and therefore “more valuable”
- Tim Schutsky turns snow globes and scuffed-up trainers into scenes worth a second glance
- Champagne Nicko's illustrations feature characters in perpetual party mode
- Pablo Amargo on his simple and humorous illustrations for The New York Times
- Get ready for 230 new emojis to confuse your mum with
- Netflix rolls out brand new ident for all its original material
- David Rothenberg discusses his unique portraits of the passengers of planes
- Photographer Nick Turpin captures cars bathed in the lights of Piccadilly Circus
- Byun Young Geun likens illustration to “looking into a mirror”
- Naranjo-Etxeberria designs an identity aiming to cause impact at first glance