Directional Parisian multidisciplinary studio Ill-Studio has taken over the creative and art direction for fashion magazine L’Officiel de la couture et de la mode de Paris (or L’Officiel – as the publication is more snappily known). The studio’s first issue, also L’Officiel’s 95th anniversary issue, came out this month accompanied by an exhibition at the VNH Gallery.
The redesign marked a striking departure from the magazine’s previously conventional template. The October issue’s three cover stars – Lou Doillon, Iris Apfel and Damaris Goddrie – were shot on a Samsung Galaxy wearing Fendi against a featureless studio backdrop. The images were then boxed out with an off-kilter rectangle and framed with thick borders in postbox red, tangerine and violet.
Inside, Ill-Studio collaborated with a bumper pack of photographers including Jeremy Liebman, Edouard Plongeon, Osma Harvilahthi, Christiani-Toubiana, Raffaele Cariou and Henrik Purienne.
- Unseen Amsterdam's artistic director on how its richest line-up yet inspires and informs
- Jackson Green’s design work explores the chasm that exists between statement and intent
- Why Materials Matter: Seetal Solanki's accessible proposal for the future of materials, designed by Our Place
- Friday Mixtape: Animator Steve Smith takes us from Kate Bush to Oneohtrix Point Never
- Tom Galle’s internet-based practice captures your attention in a few seconds, scrolling through your feed
- “Fear and desire for connection and the blocks to it”: artist Martine Syms on her exhibition Grand Calme
- “Go, go, go”: how DIA messed with design theory, only to improve it
- Watch the trailer for the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, the television show
- Uber gets another new logo, gives you something to make small talk about this weekend
- Swedish design studio Amanda & Erik avoid the tropes of minimalist, Scandinavian design in their practice
- You know that great feeling of popping a spot? You'll get that from Sophie Koko Gate's new animation
- Studio Hyte's identity for iiii Magazine examines the characteristics of type, code and interaction on the web