Hello. My name’s Liv, and this year my best three moments have been hosting the Modern Magazine Conference, interviewing my sister for Riposte magazine, and flashing Robert Plant at the Camden Roundhouse. Merry Christmas!
What has the internet taught you this year?
That the stuff I’m really into which I thought was really weird, isn’t actually that weird.
What’s been your favourite interview/piece of writing of the year?
This interview with David Hockney, Tim Presley from White Fence’s five tips to writing the perfect song, the Sabotage Times’ scariest story you’ll ever read, Graham Nash talking about photographing Joni Mitchell, and this article from the Huffington Post about having a mid-20s crisis. OH! And this piece by Caity Weaver about her 14-hour stint at TGI Fridays.
Which website do you think has really stepped up their game this year?
Which song/album would be the soundtrack to your year?
A song my friend Rupe told me about, called Sitting Here Watching by Mike Cooper. Best album would be Cyclops Reap by White Fence or On the Beach by Neil Young.
Which app could you have not lived without this year?
The Spotify App! You can make playlists for your friends, stalk people’s libraries, discover amazing new stuff and listen to incredible music on train journeys while mournfully looking out the window. What more could you ask for?
What’s been your favourite publication this year?
A book called Michael Jackson published by Studio Voltaire and Koenig books, which contains insane drawings of Michael Jackson by a teenage Dawn Mellor.
What’s the best exhibition you’ve visited?
Martin Creed at the Southbank Centre! There were fart noises, pianos, self-working cars, stacks of cardboard boxes, prints made of broccoli, and a room full of balloons that I had the pleasure of going in alone. What a guy.
One valuable lesson you have learnt in 2014?
If you have a small stain on your tooth, don’t go to the dentist, just scrape it off with a small knife.
Do you have any new year’s resolutions?
Learn guitar! Wayyyy
Give us a recipe for an incredible Christmas lunch SIDE dish
Parsnips with black pepper and parmesan:
Par-boil chopped-up parsnips. Lay out on tea-towel and pat dry. Then roll them around in a bowl of flour, grated parmesan and black pepper and shove them in the oven.
- Photographer Anne-Sophie Guillet’s stunning portraits challenge gender binaries
- For Jan Horcik, type design and graphic design cannot work without one another
- “Like a little factory making picture books”: The wondrous work of Marie Neurath
- What’s the purpose of prison? This series captures a horse rehabilitation programme in Arizona
- Tina Schwizgebel-Wang’s etchings are filled with detailed scenes of everyday life
- “I want to show that the world is actually very simple”: meet artist Hisami Tanaka
- New study claims to pinpoint the most creative time of day, down to the minute
- Singapore-based studio Swell explores the idea of the banished book
- "My little niece and my grandmother like the game equally": how Playables made the simply addictive Kids
- In being "open to possibilities" still life painter Duane Keiser paints the everyday joys of life
- What the cluck? KFC releases limited-edition bucket hat
- For Bizzarri-Rodriguez, book design “is everything except a science”