Hello. My name’s Liv, and this year my best three moments have been hosting the Modern Magazine Conference, interviewing my sister for Riposte magazine, and flashing Robert Plant at the Camden Roundhouse. Merry Christmas!
What has the internet taught you this year?
That the stuff I’m really into which I thought was really weird, isn’t actually that weird.
What’s been your favourite interview/piece of writing of the year?
This interview with David Hockney, Tim Presley from White Fence’s five tips to writing the perfect song, the Sabotage Times’ scariest story you’ll ever read, Graham Nash talking about photographing Joni Mitchell, and this article from the Huffington Post about having a mid-20s crisis. OH! And this piece by Caity Weaver about her 14-hour stint at TGI Fridays.
Which website do you think has really stepped up their game this year?
Which song/album would be the soundtrack to your year?
A song my friend Rupe told me about, called Sitting Here Watching by Mike Cooper. Best album would be Cyclops Reap by White Fence or On the Beach by Neil Young.
Which app could you have not lived without this year?
The Spotify App! You can make playlists for your friends, stalk people’s libraries, discover amazing new stuff and listen to incredible music on train journeys while mournfully looking out the window. What more could you ask for?
What’s been your favourite publication this year?
A book called Michael Jackson published by Studio Voltaire and Koenig books, which contains insane drawings of Michael Jackson by a teenage Dawn Mellor.
What’s the best exhibition you’ve visited?
Martin Creed at the Southbank Centre! There were fart noises, pianos, self-working cars, stacks of cardboard boxes, prints made of broccoli, and a room full of balloons that I had the pleasure of going in alone. What a guy.
One valuable lesson you have learnt in 2014?
If you have a small stain on your tooth, don’t go to the dentist, just scrape it off with a small knife.
Do you have any new year’s resolutions?
Learn guitar! Wayyyy
Give us a recipe for an incredible Christmas lunch SIDE dish
Parsnips with black pepper and parmesan:
Par-boil chopped-up parsnips. Lay out on tea-towel and pat dry. Then roll them around in a bowl of flour, grated parmesan and black pepper and shove them in the oven.
- Have an ogle at Sein Koo’s marker pen illustrations of all things food-related
- Albert magazine's analytical yet colourful design proves how “knowledge can also have sex appeal”
- Typeface Ciao communicates auditive intonations of the spoken word
- Photography duo Luke & Nik talk us through the inspirations for their analogue manipulation
- Filmmaker and writer Pedro Neves Marques merges biopolitics with sexual politics
- Dinamo's Fabian Hard on exploring new technology with typography
- True's sixth issue thoughtfully showcases emerging and established photographers
- It’s cheese but not as you know it: ManvsMachine’s TV ads for Castello
- Jon Gray on designing book covers for Zadie Smith, Sally Rooney and other literary giants
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Graphic Fest has all you need to know about visual identities for festivals and fairs
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons