Wales has been given a rebrand by Smörgåsbord Studio. The new identity eschews many of the tired and nostalgic cliches about the country to provide a contemporary and multifunctional brand for the Welsh Government. A new campaign, Year of Legends featuring actor Luke Evans, is bringing the message to new audiences and shows the nation as a place to visit, trade, invest and live.
“We were charged with creating a compelling and visually consistent approach to help reveal new, engaging stories to complement the country’s rich history, beauty and culture,” says Smörgåsbord’s Dylan Griffith. “A nation brand built to be applied across all consumer facing government sectors – from tourism through to business to food & drink."
The brand incorporates a core marque, a bespoke typeface, tone of voice and photography guidelines, and advice on experiential initiatives. “It draws together disparate strands of activity, creating a ‘glue’ that unites the great people and places of Wales: digitally, physically and culturally,” says Smörgåsbord.
“The core idea can be summarised as ‘inherently Welsh with a global outlook,” says Dylan. “A unified brand approach with the power to create a confident new way of thinking and behaving. At its heart is a contemporary rendering of the familiar Dragon icon that re-establishes the link with our national flag.”
Developed by Colophon Foundry, the bespoke typeface, Cymru Wales Sans, is inspired by Welsh Typographical heritage and incorporates digraphs that are unique to the Welsh language. Dylan explains, “Our research informed the look, feel and personality of several of the consonants (d, h, l, m, n, u) and crucially five of the eight diagraphs that are wholly unique to the Welsh language, Ch, ch, dd, Ff, ff, Ll, Th, th.”
- Luis Alberto Rodriguez photographs use contorted and twisted limbs to express emotion
- Season Zine's Felicia Pennant on how the publication puts female football fans first
- Record label Melody as Truth is carving out a woozy, spacey audio-visual niche
- “Create a flag that represents your own Island” – The amazing entries from the #MyIslandFlag Insta brief
- We ask Nadine Redlich, Wieden+Kennedy and more to visualise their highlights of the World Cup
- Friday Mixtape: Caterina Bianchini's mix to listen to "In your pants! On the bus! Walking! Running!"
- Photographer Jack Johnstone's dreamy images are so soft they're almost otherworldly
- “Unporn” is the photo stock collection for those suggestive, naughty moments
- KangHee Kim's images are as satisfying to create as they are to look at
- Penguin unveils striking series of redesigned Jack Kerouac books
- Veteran designer Sir Kenneth Grange has reconfigured the pint glass
- Sophy Hollington’s striking tarot deck combines mysticism with a glam-punk contemporary twist