“When we started Bompas & Parr one of the first calls we got was an inquiry about whether we catered for splosh parties. Innocently we looked online to see what this might involve – to find a seamy scene were folks get turned on by sitting in puddles of baked beans. At the time we declined,” explains Sam Bompas, co-founder of Bompas & Parr.
Nine years later, flavour-based experience designers Bompas & Parr has collaborated with fashion photographer Jo Duck to create Cake Holes, a grotesque but compelling photo series and a short, directed by Nathan Ceddia, about the practice of sploshing. “On the day none of our regular friends, lovers and collaborators wanted to participate as models… so we just put an open call out on Instagram and saw who turned up,” says Sam. “A surprisingly large number of people want to spend their Saturday afternoons sitting on cakes and jellies.”
The series captures bellies and butts being dropped onto an assortment of deserts, each delicacy chosen by the models for their image. Bompas & Parr then got each person to fill out a questionnaire about “their favourite dishes to how they would solve the greatest challenges to humanity today!”
Enjoy your lunch.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories