“When we started Bompas & Parr one of the first calls we got was an inquiry about whether we catered for splosh parties. Innocently we looked online to see what this might involve – to find a seamy scene were folks get turned on by sitting in puddles of baked beans. At the time we declined,” explains Sam Bompas, co-founder of Bompas & Parr.
Nine years later, flavour-based experience designers Bompas & Parr has collaborated with fashion photographer Jo Duck to create Cake Holes, a grotesque but compelling photo series and a short, directed by Nathan Ceddia, about the practice of sploshing. “On the day none of our regular friends, lovers and collaborators wanted to participate as models… so we just put an open call out on Instagram and saw who turned up,” says Sam. “A surprisingly large number of people want to spend their Saturday afternoons sitting on cakes and jellies.”
The series captures bellies and butts being dropped onto an assortment of deserts, each delicacy chosen by the models for their image. Bompas & Parr then got each person to fill out a questionnaire about “their favourite dishes to how they would solve the greatest challenges to humanity today!”
Enjoy your lunch.
- Graphic designer Angharad Hengyu Owen on textual shapes and wandering poems
- Chase Middleton’s candid, bizarre and compelling photographs of strangers
- Illustrator Marie Jacotey on depicting emotions we daren’t talk about
- Humans’ impact on Earth inspired Bleed’s custom typefaces for Anthopros
- Girls! Illustrator Martina Paukova opens her first major show in London
- OOF magazine explores the world of art and football
- Nike’s latest ad features 258 young Londoners proving that “Nothing Beats a Londoner”
- Monument Valley designer Ken Wong releases interactive comic mobile game, Florence
- Meet graphic designer Jonathan Isaacson and his hybrid portfolio
- Artist claims Kendrick Lamar video for Black Panther song used her work without permission
- Bureau Bertrand Clément’s portfolio represents the importance of playful graphic design
- Official portraits of Barack and Michelle Obama have been unveiled