“When we started Bompas & Parr one of the first calls we got was an inquiry about whether we catered for splosh parties. Innocently we looked online to see what this might involve – to find a seamy scene were folks get turned on by sitting in puddles of baked beans. At the time we declined,” explains Sam Bompas, co-founder of Bompas & Parr.
Nine years later, flavour-based experience designers Bompas & Parr has collaborated with fashion photographer Jo Duck to create Cake Holes, a grotesque but compelling photo series and a short, directed by Nathan Ceddia, about the practice of sploshing. “On the day none of our regular friends, lovers and collaborators wanted to participate as models… so we just put an open call out on Instagram and saw who turned up,” says Sam. “A surprisingly large number of people want to spend their Saturday afternoons sitting on cakes and jellies.”
The series captures bellies and butts being dropped onto an assortment of deserts, each delicacy chosen by the models for their image. Bompas & Parr then got each person to fill out a questionnaire about “their favourite dishes to how they would solve the greatest challenges to humanity today!”
Enjoy your lunch.
- Photographer Anne-Sophie Guillet’s stunning portraits challenge gender binaries
- For Jan Horcik, type design and graphic design cannot work without one another
- “Like a little factory making picture books”: The wondrous work of Marie Neurath
- What’s the purpose of prison? This series captures a horse rehabilitation programme in Arizona
- Tina Schwizgebel-Wang’s etchings are filled with detailed scenes of everyday life
- “I want to show that the world is actually very simple”: meet artist Hisami Tanaka
- New study claims to pinpoint the most creative time of day, down to the minute
- Singapore-based studio Swell explores the idea of the banished book
- "My little niece and my grandmother like the game equally": how Playables made the simply addictive Kids
- In being "open to possibilities" still life painter Duane Keiser paints the everyday joys of life
- What the cluck? KFC releases limited-edition bucket hat
- For Bizzarri-Rodriguez, book design “is everything except a science”