I don’t really know how to introduce this week’s instalment of art and design chat other than to inform you that, alongside some handsome graphic design, a dose of undiluted Grayson Perry and a round-up of The Modern Magazine Conference, this week our merciless editor-in-chief had us broaching the most difficult subject discussed in all Studio Audience history. Cheers Rob. Onwards into the awkwardness!
You can subscribe via iTunes here or listen via the SoundCloud link above.
In the first section we discussed Marian Bantjes’ beautiful new monograph, questioned whether Banksy’s sale of original work in New York for £30 a piece is a brilliant piece of satire or falls flat on its face, and Leigh Ledare who, yeah, photographed his mum having sex. (Feeling weird? Because I can assure you it’s not as weird as we did.)
In section two we chatted about the first instalment of Grayson Perry’s Reith Lectures, entitled Democracy Has Bad Taste, and Rob Alderson told us all about Mag Culture’s one day conference about The Modern Magazine and the nuggets of wisdom modern media’s key players had to bestow.
- Meji Alabi on discovering his roots through film and music
- Stoic black cats and burning worlds: Quentin Dufour on his chaotic illustrations
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- In photographing the American west, Andong Zheng uncovers hidden traces of Chinese history
- Meet Universal Thirst, the Bangalore and Reykjavik-based foundry offering a dual perspective on type
- Manchester Girls, the new series from Dean Davies, is a visual homage to the women of the north
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories