I don’t really know how to introduce this week’s instalment of art and design chat other than to inform you that, alongside some handsome graphic design, a dose of undiluted Grayson Perry and a round-up of The Modern Magazine Conference, this week our merciless editor-in-chief had us broaching the most difficult subject discussed in all Studio Audience history. Cheers Rob. Onwards into the awkwardness!
You can subscribe via iTunes here or listen via the SoundCloud link above.
In the first section we discussed Marian Bantjes’ beautiful new monograph, questioned whether Banksy’s sale of original work in New York for £30 a piece is a brilliant piece of satire or falls flat on its face, and Leigh Ledare who, yeah, photographed his mum having sex. (Feeling weird? Because I can assure you it’s not as weird as we did.)
In section two we chatted about the first instalment of Grayson Perry’s Reith Lectures, entitled Democracy Has Bad Taste, and Rob Alderson told us all about Mag Culture’s one day conference about The Modern Magazine and the nuggets of wisdom modern media’s key players had to bestow.
- Food for thought on the day the Global Climate Strike begins
- “I always thought Photoshop was a glorified MS paint”: James Lacey on his journey into design
- “If I am flagging on a shoot, she directs me”: Matthew Stone on working with FKA Twigs
- French illustrator Nicolas Ridou makes “the atmosphere the story” in his hypnotic works
- A routine, good music and Charlie Bones: Sean Bate on his graphic design inspirations
- In The Boys, Rick Schatzberg photographs his group in their 66th year of friendship
- “All you see is lazy photography everywhere”: Martin Parr discusses his career, Brexit and obsession
- The work of Xiangyu Liu is weird and fantastically unpredictable (some NSFW)
- Caterina Bianchini Studio designs a dog-themed identity for a conveyer belt cheese restaurant
- Ikea invites people to “try on” Virgil Abloh furniture collection at LFW
- Hans Findling on his experimental and multidisciplinary approach to design
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!