Yep. That’s right, Liv bloody Siddall has taken the reins of the podcast, leading Maisie Skidmore and James Cartwright off into the night like “a drunk, blind captain of a ship.” Rob Alderson’s off this week, and so like the kid’s table at a wedding we were left to fend for ourselves. The results weren’t actually that bad, and we managed to have intelligent discussions about art and design news.
You can listen via the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes right here. You can also – should the fancy take you – add a comment using the thread at the bottom of this article.
First up James Cartwright told us about his favourite picks from the graphic design category of the Designs of the Year 2014, including some illustration work by Rami Niemi and Chris Ware. You can see the nominations and pick your own favourites (floating school, anyone?) over here on the Design Museum site. Next we chatted about the hoo-ha surrounding the Sochi winter Olympics and the “good luck” videos that have been challenging Russia’s views on gay athletes. From Channel 4’s Gay Mountain video to the Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion luge advert that claims “The Winter Olympics Games have always been a little bit gay.”
As we rolled seamlessly (ahem) into the second section we discussed Michel Gondry’s outstanding new video for Metronomy’s new single Love Letters and gushed about where he fits into the music video climate of today, and of course how much we love him and always will. See you next week, listeners!
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled