Friday means lots of different things to lots of different people; whether you’re a hard-partying fun-seeker or a vagabond with a secret family for whom Friday marks the shedding of one life for the panicky preoccupation of the other. BUt here at It’s Nice That, Friday means Studio Audience, our weekly art and design podcast and this week we can promise sex, sculpture and rock n’ roll. One quick warning; we do discuss something somewhat naughty at the start of Section Two so some discretion advised.
You can listen via the SoundCloud link above or subscribe through iTunes here.
We kicked off this week’s podcast reflecting on the sad deaths of the inimitable Lou Reed, paradigm shifting sculptor Sir Anthony Caro and Marcia Wallace, the voice of Springfield’s most world-weary teacher. We also looked at design studio BERG’s move from design consultancy to tech start-up and looked ahead to feminist website Jezebel’s upcoming new book.
We started Section Two by taking on the art world story everyone is talking about; Central Saint Martins student Clayton Pettet’s plan for a one-off performance piece when he loses his virginity with a gay friend.
We then changed tack completely and spoke about Chip Kidd’s new book which s a graphic design guide for children agent ten and upwards. Introducing concepts like kerning and juxtaposition it also sets exercise for budding graphic designers to get their teeth into. Oh, and here’s Liv’s video of a Greggs paper bag blowing into a reporter’s face.
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- June's Double Click features real-time user interaction, infinite scrolls and lo-fi aesthetics
- Lee Kan Kyo’s practice involves taking a selfie a day and a loyalty card club
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!