I tell you now that I never thought life could get more exciting than sitting around our little desks with microphones chewing the fat about the art and design world, but it totally just did! So sit back and enjoy this brief rundown of a truly lovely episode of Studio Audience where we chat about recent goings-on and do an ample amount of complaining that we weren’t invited to the Venice Biennale. Maybe next time. On we go!
Section One got off to cracking start as we chatted about the fantastically all-welcoming Wired magazine redesign, the ancient Rubens found locked in a cupboard at the University of Reading, Daft Punk’s ironic Monaco failure, and the download-binge-fest that was the release of the new series of Arrested Development on Netflix.
If, like me, your Instagram is clogged up by collared, Campari-drinking art types at Venice this week then this section is for you. Let our exploration into Jeremy Deller’s Pavilion, Ai Wei Wei’s dioramas and the growing excitement around the Palazzo Peckham fill you with enough info to make people believe you were actually there. Semi-convincing spray tan optional.
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Miguel Pang’s hand-drawn approach adds texture and depth to his illustrations
- Córdova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner