Director, animator and illustrator Benjy Brooke has just released 2D animation Power Hungry via Super Deluxe’s Youtube channel. The short was designed, directed and animated by Benjy over five months, with sound design and music by Kenny Kusiak.
The short was based on a series of webcomics Benjy posted on Tumblr in 2015. As Benjy told It’s Nice That, Power Hungry is “a post-apocalyptic sci-fi adventure about self-driving electric cars, nomadic robots, sunburnt mutants, and toys.”
“The idea formed after I moved to upstate NY and started regularly driving long distances, jacking up my carbon footprint,” he explains. “I imagine that we’ll all eventually transition to solar powered electric cars, but maybe not before the complete desertification of the planet.”
Power Hungry is the latest in a run of brilliant work by Benjy, including projects for Converse and Major Lazer.
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Curator Andrea Giunta on her new exhibition Radical Women
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum