Director, animator and illustrator Benjy Brooke has just released 2D animation Power Hungry via Super Deluxe’s Youtube channel. The short was designed, directed and animated by Benjy over five months, with sound design and music by Kenny Kusiak.
The short was based on a series of webcomics Benjy posted on Tumblr in 2015. As Benjy told It’s Nice That, Power Hungry is “a post-apocalyptic sci-fi adventure about self-driving electric cars, nomadic robots, sunburnt mutants, and toys.”
“The idea formed after I moved to upstate NY and started regularly driving long distances, jacking up my carbon footprint,” he explains. “I imagine that we’ll all eventually transition to solar powered electric cars, but maybe not before the complete desertification of the planet.”
Power Hungry is the latest in a run of brilliant work by Benjy, including projects for Converse and Major Lazer.
- Mariana Malhão's illustrations depict "a world inside a world"
- Max Siedentopf offers silly but significant advice in his latest series, Instructions for World Peace
- XZY explores the “visual alchemies of the phenomenon fake" in its debut issue
- Steven Bliss' distant yet familiar series, Boys
- Friday Mixtape: Shopping pick a mix of bands to be excited to be about
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau on body diversity and defying convention
- The Guardian unveils redesign across print and online
- Aron Klein's captivating images of the Bulgarian demon chasers
- The rebrand for Russia’s tourist board uses Suprematist geometry laid out as a map
- Compare your selfies to fine art through the Google Arts and Culture app’s newest feature
- Coca-Cola reveals custom typeface, TCCC Unity, inspired by its modernist heritage
- Graphic designer Bryan Rivera references mistakes and imperfections in his portfolio