Director, animator and illustrator Benjy Brooke has just released 2D animation Power Hungry via Super Deluxe’s Youtube channel. The short was designed, directed and animated by Benjy over five months, with sound design and music by Kenny Kusiak.
The short was based on a series of webcomics Benjy posted on Tumblr in 2015. As Benjy told It’s Nice That, Power Hungry is “a post-apocalyptic sci-fi adventure about self-driving electric cars, nomadic robots, sunburnt mutants, and toys.”
“The idea formed after I moved to upstate NY and started regularly driving long distances, jacking up my carbon footprint,” he explains. “I imagine that we’ll all eventually transition to solar powered electric cars, but maybe not before the complete desertification of the planet.”
Power Hungry is the latest in a run of brilliant work by Benjy, including projects for Converse and Major Lazer.
- Mischa Appel's series This is Where You End investigates the "increasing polarisation of society"
- Ladybeard magazine returns and reshapes the stories we tell about beauty
- Clifford Prince King looks to “express truth and realness” in his portraits of male black youth
- Wang Wei’s series Young Wild & Free captures the fresh energy of Beijing youth
- Büro Bum Bum designs a cheery cookbook to get families excited about veg
- Ross Paul McEwan's expressive designs channel "that feeling you get when the sun comes out"
- Hotel search engine Trivago rebrands with new logo and identity
- The Art of Shinkansen animated gif series celebrates the Japanese bullet train
- National Geographic’s creative director Emmet Smith on the publication’s redesign
- Google Fonts Korean becomes interactive by manipulating path data
- Designer Jay Vaz combines his love of music and analogue art in a colourful and textural portfolio
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers