A constant refrain when putting together the It’s Nice That Annual is to keep the creative work front and centre. This isn’t about us; it’s about the stunning, mesmerising, funny, thought-provoking, charming, painstaking and fascinating projects that we’re proud to showcase in all their glory. This year though we decided to go one better, and from the off we all agreed that it would be great if each cover carried a piece of art and design that could then be found within the book.
The answer was to print 50 A6 postcards to fit into a transparent pouch that sits on the vibrant blue cover. And then we thought wouldn’t it be great if these postcards were signed by the very creatives whose work was taking centre stage? So we sent boxes of postcards off to all corners of the globe, and watched with glee as they started to come back adorned with not just signatures but all manner of weird and wonderful doodles and messages.
So each 2014 It’s Nice That Annual will come with one of 50 signed postcards on the cover, featuring work from the likes of Geoff McFetridge, Jordy van den Nieuwendijk, Bobby Doherty, Jim Stoten, Jessica Svensden, Francesca Jane Allen, Pat Bradbury, Feixen, Gwendal le Bec, Jaime Zuverza, Anna Victoria Best and Ilg/Trüb.
Designer Hamish Makgill said last week that he thinks the postcards are “essential” to this year’s Annual and we hope you’ll agree that they add a certain something to our end-of-year book.
The It’s Nice That Annual 2014 is supported by G.F Smith and printed on Colorplan Bright White 350gsm, Zen Pure White 150gsm and Heaven 42 135gsm.
- “Fear and desire for connection and the blocks to it”: artist Martine Syms on her exhibition Grand Calme
- Iggy Ldn captures beauty, power and pain in his short film, Velvet
- Art Bank Taiwan joins London Design Biennale this week, exploring cultural identity through political and social commentary
- Tiziana Jill Beck explores the identity of anonymous travellers through masks
- The new issue of Indoek brings America's oldest city to life
- Master of plasticine Kate Isobel Scott is back with a new animation
- Uber gets another new logo, gives you something to make small talk about this weekend
- “Go, go, go”: how DIA messed with design theory, only to improve it
- Type designer Kia Tasbihgou on how “knowing cool designers and nice fonts isn’t enough”
- Watch the trailer for the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, the television show
- V&A curator Marie Foulston wants us to look at video games through the lens of design
- You know that great feeling of popping a spot? You'll get that from Sophie Koko Gate's new animation