Typography fetishists – assemble! The New York based Type Directors Club has revealed the winners of its communication design, typeface design and title design awards and as ever it’s a fountain of font-based fabulousness (our words, not theirs). With over 1,600 entries from 33 countries (although 52% from the USA) it’s a mammoth task to whittle down to some semblance of winners and in all well over 200 projects were garlanded.
In the interests of then of time, space and sanity we have decided to showcase the judges’ choice winners, where it was a delight to see student work honoured alongside titans of the typographic world like Rogers Eckersley Design and EdenSpiekermann.
These last two took prizes for self promotion and the Red Bull Music Academy website, but special mentions to the Playtype website, Cesar Puertas’ typeface for Columbian newspaper La República and Lorenz Klingebiel and Nicolas Kremershof’s brilliant poster.
Paula Scher of Pentagram is designing Typography 33 featuring the winners which will be out at the end of the year.
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum