Typography fetishists – assemble! The New York based Type Directors Club has revealed the winners of its communication design, typeface design and title design awards and as ever it’s a fountain of font-based fabulousness (our words, not theirs). With over 1,600 entries from 33 countries (although 52% from the USA) it’s a mammoth task to whittle down to some semblance of winners and in all well over 200 projects were garlanded.
In the interests of then of time, space and sanity we have decided to showcase the judges’ choice winners, where it was a delight to see student work honoured alongside titans of the typographic world like Rogers Eckersley Design and EdenSpiekermann.
These last two took prizes for self promotion and the Red Bull Music Academy website, but special mentions to the Playtype website, Cesar Puertas’ typeface for Columbian newspaper La República and Lorenz Klingebiel and Nicolas Kremershof’s brilliant poster.
Paula Scher of Pentagram is designing Typography 33 featuring the winners which will be out at the end of the year.
- Zach Lieberman and Molmol Kuo's AR app Weird Type lets you paint with type in space
- Artist Jesse Draxler on finding clarity through greyscale
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"
- Alessandra Genualdo's illustrations mix high fashion and intimate moments
- Benoit Bodhuin's experimental, maths-inspired typefaces
- Heart Chakra by Angela Stempel comedically explores LA's crystal culture
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- These Swedish kids designed a typeface to celebrate their neighbourhood
- A new Vitra Museum exhibition shows the hedonistic history of nightclub design
- Serbian designer Marko Vuleta-Djukanov’s music posters celebrate “everyday stuff”
- Discover Harvard student Mindy Seu's research-focused design practice