Typography fetishists – assemble! The New York based Type Directors Club has revealed the winners of its communication design, typeface design and title design awards and as ever it’s a fountain of font-based fabulousness (our words, not theirs). With over 1,600 entries from 33 countries (although 52% from the USA) it’s a mammoth task to whittle down to some semblance of winners and in all well over 200 projects were garlanded.
In the interests of then of time, space and sanity we have decided to showcase the judges’ choice winners, where it was a delight to see student work honoured alongside titans of the typographic world like Rogers Eckersley Design and EdenSpiekermann.
These last two took prizes for self promotion and the Red Bull Music Academy website, but special mentions to the Playtype website, Cesar Puertas’ typeface for Columbian newspaper La República and Lorenz Klingebiel and Nicolas Kremershof’s brilliant poster.
Paula Scher of Pentagram is designing Typography 33 featuring the winners which will be out at the end of the year.
- For Ginko Yang “drawing creates the same effects as a mental massage”
- Pop culture powerhouse Bryan Rivera's 2018 in graphic design
- Don't worry, be angry: how politics and creativity collided in 2018
- Maurice Andresen is reimagining Glasgow’s non-spaces as an ethereal world
- Vice magazine's creative team talks us through its new and unexpectedly different redesign
- Julia Falkner and Lorena Hydeman document boys playing with gender for the first time
- DIA channels NYC and gives Squarespace its signature kinetic treatment in brand refresh
- Laughing at the world of graphic design with Tracy Ma
- Pantone's Colour of the Year 2019 has been announced and it's... Living Coral!
- Alex Gamsu Jenkins’ comics remind us of how gross we really are
- The animated short giving Isle of Dogs a run for its money
- Caleb Halter's instinctual design practice produces considered and refined work