Rotterdam-based illustrator Xaviera Altena has developed a style that encompasses bold linework, poppy colours and sparse details. Xaviera references modern day issues and news stories in her work, combining them with 90s pop culture influences for a fresh approach to topical illustrations.
Throughout her work we see pieces that tackle themes such as feminism, social movements, politics and the everyday. She’s had several commissions from De Correspondent, City Guide, and Rotterdampas magazine, yet it’s her personal work that really drew us in.
With fruity shades like raspberry pinks and lemon yellows, there’s a joy and freshness to each of Xaviera’s illustrations that mainly focus on the female form. Her clean linework brings everything together and there’s a consistent style of character appearing throughout her portfolio. Her small, simple faces are cute but contrasted with large limbs and vivid clothes that remind us distantly of Laura Callaghan’s bodacious work. Communicative with a touch of humour, Xaviera even manages to make a half eaten banana, a can of pop and bumbag look new and exciting.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories