Illustrator Aino-Maija Metsola, known for her textile design work for Finnish brand Marimekko, has designed six covers for Virginia Woolf books. The new paperback editions will be published by Vintage Classics on 6 October.
Channelling the scenery and ambience of each novel’s title, Helsinki-based Aino-Maija makes use of the abstract, painterly style she has honed as part of her illustration and graphic design work. Using mostly ink, markers and gouache, she builds bright and enchanting compositions with a rich colour palette.
The series of books, which includes A Room of One’s Own, The Waves, The Years, Mrs Dalloway, Orlando and To The Lighthouse, demonstrates her ability to adapt to a more restrictive canvas — a small rectangular book cover as opposed to a large repeat print.
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!