Elton John is many things. Tennis buff, Watford fanatic, toupee connoisseur, the list goes on. Elton John is not, we’re sad to say, a naturally gifted rapper. How do we know this, you ask? The answer isn’t as exciting as you might have thought. We’re yet to get an invite to one of the big man’s many palatial piles for an evening of canapés, caviar, and Capone-N-Noreaga karaoke, more’s the pity.
We know that Elton probably won’t be popping off a hot 16 on the next Lil Xan mixtape thanks to AMV BBDO’s latest glossy advert for nut-heavy chocolate bar, Snickers.
The Andreas Nilsson directed clip takes place in the kind of house party that the Rocket Man singer probably doesn’t usually frequent of a Friday night. We see a bustling, bumping soirée taking place Stateside. A rap battle takes place, and yep, our boy Elton’s right in the thick of things. Dressed to the nines in a sequin-studded suit that might be worth more than the GDP of Luxembourg, Elton steps to the mic only to squeeze out a few halting lines from his 1976 Kiki Dee duet Don’t Go Breaking My Heart.
This, evidently, isn’t what’s expected of him. He’s asked to stop, fed a Snickers, and then miraculously morphs into a real-life US rapper. The battle carries on as if Elton John had never been there.
This isn’t the first time AMV BBDO have given the snack a transformative twist. You’ll remember, of course, those videos where Joan Collins found herself wafting around the steam and suds of a male changing room only to find herself radically reimagined as a muddied post-match footballer.
- Fantastic Man releases What Men Wear, an anthology of male dressing in the 21st Century
- Interior Lives documents the unassimilated lives of the largest Chinese population outside of Asia
- Illustrator Isabella Cotier’s characters are a celebration of dressing to express
- Alice Zoo documents the real day-to-day lives of performers in a travelling circus
- Jenny Schweitzer's latest short is an uplifting account of life in an American retirement home
- Next 2 Nothing is the how-to manual of tips and tricks for any aspiring filmmaker
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- Betina Du Toit's naturally-beautiful images are “stripped back from the non-essential”
- Giacomo Gambineri on shifting his creative career from graphic designer to illustrator
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice