This year’s Emmy nominations have been announced, with the shortlist for outstanding animated program featuring Adventure Time’s tenth season finale, a four-episode special by Cartoon Network titled Come Along With Me. The special will be up against other major broadcasters’ series, including two from Netflix – Big Mouth and BoJack Horseman – as well as two from Fox – Bob’s Burgers and The Simpsons.
Come Along with Me begins a thousand years in the future, where Jake the Dog’s descendent Beth and a feline creature called Shermy are being told the story of “the Great Gum War” by BMO. It then cuts back to the present day, showing Jake and Finn’s “ultimate adventure”.
The Simpsons has been nominated for 78 Emmy awards since first airing in 1989 whereas this is Bob’s Burgers’ eighth nomination for this category, this time for the Just One of the Boyz 4 Now For Now episode.
This is the first year Big Mouth has been nominated for an Emmy, earning the nod for its episode, The Planned Parenthood Show. It’s also the first time BoJack has been shortlisted for best animated program – which it celebrated with the tweet below. The Netflix series was nominated particularly for its Free Churro episode.
Despite ending the TV show with this special, Adventure Time is set to continue in comic book form, with the 11th series published by Boom Studios.
The Emmy Awards take place on 15 September 2019.
- How will pineapple leaves, algae and mushroom cement save the future of our cities?
- “I’m a bit afraid of colours”: Romina Malta on her illustrative approach to design
- Meme supreme: Daniel Keogh's maximalist illustrations are impossible to scroll past
- Painting friends in mid-conversation, Alex Bradley Cohen hides as much as he reveals
- Through 3D scans and animation, Agusta Yr creates a dreamlike world for Moschino and Yang Li
- “Perfectly beautiful things don’t attract me”: Heesun Seo on her nontraditional practice
- Pentagram rebrands Warner Bros. with a “sleek and clean” update to its shield logo
- Manchester Girls, the new series from Dean Davies, is a visual homage to the women of the north
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Viktor Hübner photographs American anxieties amongst a shifting political environment
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- Berlin Wall graffiti is made into a typeface to warn how "division is freedom's biggest threat"