This year’s Emmy nominations have been announced, with the shortlist for outstanding animated program featuring Adventure Time’s tenth season finale, a four-episode special by Cartoon Network titled Come Along With Me. The special will be up against other major broadcasters’ series, including two from Netflix – Big Mouth and BoJack Horseman – as well as two from Fox – Bob’s Burgers and The Simpsons.
Come Along with Me begins a thousand years in the future, where Jake the Dog’s descendent Beth and a feline creature called Shermy are being told the story of “the Great Gum War” by BMO. It then cuts back to the present day, showing Jake and Finn’s “ultimate adventure”.
The Simpsons has been nominated for 78 Emmy awards since first airing in 1989 whereas this is Bob’s Burgers’ eighth nomination for this category, this time for the Just One of the Boyz 4 Now For Now episode.
This is the first year Big Mouth has been nominated for an Emmy, earning the nod for its episode, The Planned Parenthood Show. It’s also the first time BoJack has been shortlisted for best animated program – which it celebrated with the tweet below. The Netflix series was nominated particularly for its Free Churro episode.
Despite ending the TV show with this special, Adventure Time is set to continue in comic book form, with the 11th series published by Boom Studios.
The Emmy Awards take place on 15 September 2019.
- An angry doughnut faces off with a timid computer technician in Megacomputeur’s latest film
- Exploring the space between humans and computers: Coralie Vogelaar on bin-packing algorithms
- From South Korea, Ghana to Berlin, Alexander Beer captures the people of the world
- Natalie Keyssar captures Guyana on the cusp of dramatic change
- Nizar Kazan’s Lausanne typeface is a product of his analytical design approach
- Your chance to work with María Medem on an illustrated calendar for 2020
- "I felt I saw the world with different eyes": Jaimy Gail on photographing the concept of normalcy
- Let Salvador Dalí tell your future in a new edition of tarot cards
- Book of Roy: Neil Drabble photographs an American teenager over the course of eight years
- Fyre Festival’s digital designer Tokyo tells its story, two years on
- Ikea unveils its latest toy creatures based on kids drawings
- Fed & Watered is a new studio with a specific output: all things food, drink and hospitality