Fraser Muggeridge studio has teamed up with curator Clare Carolin and a collective of artists to protest against a planned luxury flat development near the Barbican.
The project is called Spectres of Modernism, and takes the form of an installation of banners bearing protest slogans created by a selection of artists and writers known collectively as Artists Against Overdevelopment: Iain Sinclair, Gavin Turk, Jeremy Deller, Cornelia Parker, Esther Planas, Mark Aerial Waller, Fiona Banner, Deborah Curtis, Adam Dant, Arnaud Desjardin, Margarita Gluzberg, Patrick Goddard, Pippa Henslowe, Stewart Home, Siu Lan Ko, Tom McCarthy, Fraser Muggeridge, Katrina Palmer, Elizabeth Price, Anjalika Sagar – The Otolith Group and Eleanor Vonne Brown.
The banners are currently strung from the balconies of flats in Bowater House in Golden Lane Estate directly opposite Taylor Wimpey’s planned development The Denizen, where they will remain until 10 December. Shouting slogans such as ‘Zombie Investors Take Stock’, ‘Homes for Heroes’, ‘Children need sunlight to grow’ and ‘Parasites will starve in this carcass of culture’, the banners respond to the literal overshadowing by The Denizen of local houses as well as Jewin Welsh Chapel, Fortune Street Park, Richard Cloudesley and Prior Weston Schools and the Golden Lane Children’s Centre.
The development will leave the homes and schools with heavily diminished natural light, while there are plans to demolish 1960 civic modernist building Bernard Morgan House. There is no planned for social housing provision in the new building.
- Photographer Timothy Schaumburg takes us behind the scenes of plastic surgery prep
- The Line King: A profile of Al Hirschfeld, on the prolific characterist’s 115th birthday
- Ditto publish 100 Club Stories in celebration of the iconic London venue
- Adobe Stock identifies 'multilocalism' as the next trend to shape visual culture
- “I want my work to function like a good book": illustrator Charlotte Ager
- "Even if you cover a shit in glitter it’s still a shit": top creatives show us their CVs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Beyoncé and Jay Z take over the Louvre for Apeshit music video
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- How Alex Prager made the world stop and stare
- Neville Brody launches type foundry, Brody Fonts