Jonathan Barnbrook has been awarded the Grammy for Best Recording Package for his artwork for David Bowie’s ★.
Other nominees in this category included the cover of Parquet Courts’ Human Performance by the band’s singer and guitarist Andrew Savage; and the artwork for Rihanna’s Anti, art directed by Robyn Fenty, Roy Nachum and Ciarra Pardo. Also nominated were Reckless Kelly’s Sunset Motel art directed by Sarah and Shauna Dodds, and Eric Timothy Carlson for Bon Iver’s 22, A Million.
Illustrator Gérard Lo Monaco won the Grammy for Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package for design of Warner Music’s Edith Piaf 1915-2015 release.
The video for Beyoncé’s Formation directed by Melina Matsoukas won Best Music Video. Also nominated were Upside Down & Inside Out by OK Go, directed by Damian Kulash Jr. and Trish Sie; and Jamie XX’s Gosh directed by Romain Gavras.
Best Music Film went to The Beatles: Eight Days a Week The Touring Years directed by Ron Howard.
A full list of winners can be viewed here.
- Hick Duarte uses his camera to document the plurality of Brazilian youth culture
- Fhuiae Kim explores “the third language” in her calming graphic design works
- Folch designs a typeface embodying the “energetic universe” of acid house
- Illustrator Michael McGregor turns the mundane into something extraordinary
- All together now: Pascale Claude compiles a visual history of the beloved footie record
- “Part-animal, part-household object”: Frédérique Rusch on her wonderfully cryptic illustrations
- “We want to challenge and disturb the audience”: meet graphic design studio Alliage
- Matt Willey leaves The New York Times Magazine and joins Pentagram
- Ikki Kobayashi’s new series investigates the tension between shapes and negative space
- “Perfectly beautiful things don’t attract me”: Heesun Seo on her nontraditional practice
- The Pantone Colour of the Year 2020 makes a statement about peace and communication
- Moleskine’s digital notebook and a visual inventory of Earth win Apple's Apps of the Year