Apparently, it’s not just build-your-own furniture that Ikea offers. The Swedish homeware company’s United Arab Emirates branch is showing customers how they can assemble their own liveable, functioning replicas of some of the most recognisable living rooms in popular culture.
In an online advertising campaign that tunes into the modern-day craze for bingeable TV, Ikea has teamed up with Publicis Spain to create Ikea Real Life, a series of curated interiors that mimic iconic TV scenery by combining Ikea’s real products with digital manipulation techniques.
Now, if you are so inclined, you can recreate your living room in the image of The Simpsons’ opening credits, right down to the tilted picture that hangs on the wall behind the rust-coloured sofa. Or maybe your dream lounge area is a replica of the loft in Friends, complete with bright purple walls and a geometric rug. And for Stranger Things super fans, there’s even a lookalike of the Byers’ 80s-style sitting room, adorned with fairy lights and the letters of the alphabet painted haphazardly onto the floral wallpaper. (Although we must point out, Ikea’s version is much tidier than the dismantled living room that sets the scene for Joyce Byers’ unshakeable search for Will.)
- Painter Nick McPhail uses Renaissance techniques to make his architectural landscapes “glow”
- Photographer George Muncey on making the most of what's available
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!