Those of you who spend your waking hours clicking ever deeper into internet-based worm holes will know that Jim Carrey, the man behind Ace Ventura, The Mask, Dumb and Dumber and pretty much every childhood-defining, 90s comedy ever, has in recent years remodelled himself as an artist-cum-political cartoonist.
Having spent the past six years painting, and even holding a solo exhibition at a Las Vegas gallery last year, Jim Carrey returned to the spotlight this weekend by tweeting a portrait of American campaign manager and political advisor. Sarah Huckabee Sanders along with the caption, “This is the portrait of a so-called Christian whose only purpose in life is to lie for the wicked. Monstrous!”
It’s the latest in a string of politically critical portraits penned by Jim Carrey, which to date include an image of Donald Trump screaming with the caption, “…and the blind shall see and the lame shall walk and the cheats shall inherit the earth!” #StateOfTheUnion” and one of attorney and politician Trey Gowdy with the ears and tail of a rat, accompanied by the text, “Another RAT leaps from the sinking ship. Swim Willard! SWIM! #TreyGowdy”.
“There’s not a day that goes by that I’m not covered in paint or something from doing sculptures,” Carrey told W magazine last year. “It’s all about that for me now – being completely involved, heart, mind, and soul. Sometimes it’s art, sometimes it’s performance, and sometimes it’s just talking to someone.”
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice