Channel 4 has commissioned Fern, a six minute short film written and directed by Johnny Kelly starring Bafta winning Monica Dolan and produced by Nexus Studios. The short film won Best Comedy Short at Rhode Island Film Festival last week and is now available for our viewing pleasure on Vimeo.
Fern is a wonky black comedy about a woman and a planet who fall in love. Monica portrays a lonely lady devoted to the care of a neglected house plant and their relationship unexpectedly blossoms. Shot over three days in the It’s Nice That favourite’s London home, the director brings his animation prowess to the live action short film in the form of a plant puppet. The short film is comedically paced giving light to the acting excellence of Monica and the idiosyncratic movement of the plant.
The short has travelled internationally from Naples to Australia spreading its light-hearted, black comedy. Johnny is no stranger to film festivals, the Cannes Grand-Prix winner has previously created animations for the likes of Facebook, Chipotle and Apple. We hope that this short live action film is the first of many for a director moving from strength to strength.
- Meet illustrator Hollie Fuller's characters, with their piggy eyes and protruding ears
- Ellen Evans' latest film zooms into the tiny world of miniaturism
- Kent Andreasen on how he embraces the transience of light in his photographs
- Illustrator Baptiste Virot describes his work as an “iron punch in a velvet glove”
- Slovenian design studio Ljudje on how it turned the information crisis into a visual identity
- Tomek Popakul's short film Acid Rain shows the perils of falling in love with a wrong'un
- Want a dream job? Studio Ghibli is hiring
- Pornhub decides to try out beesexuality with new awareness campaign
- The Washington Post's climate change issue features 24 equally important covers
- “Even bad pizza is kind of good”: Five life lessons from David Droga
- “The time just feels right”: Stuart Brumfitt and Mirko Borsche, editor and designer of The Face, on its relaunch
- We take a look back at the best stories of the year to date