Channel 4 has commissioned Fern, a six minute short film written and directed by Johnny Kelly starring Bafta winning Monica Dolan and produced by Nexus Studios. The short film won Best Comedy Short at Rhode Island Film Festival last week and is now available for our viewing pleasure on Vimeo.
Fern is a wonky black comedy about a woman and a planet who fall in love. Monica portrays a lonely lady devoted to the care of a neglected house plant and their relationship unexpectedly blossoms. Shot over three days in the It’s Nice That favourite’s London home, the director brings his animation prowess to the live action short film in the form of a plant puppet. The short film is comedically paced giving light to the acting excellence of Monica and the idiosyncratic movement of the plant.
The short has travelled internationally from Naples to Australia spreading its light-hearted, black comedy. Johnny is no stranger to film festivals, the Cannes Grand-Prix winner has previously created animations for the likes of Facebook, Chipotle and Apple. We hope that this short live action film is the first of many for a director moving from strength to strength.
- From documentaries to exhibition design via portraiture and painting, relive June’s Nicer Tuesdays
- Useless is a website mapping out the UK’s zero-waste network
- Material Literacy: Why we need to rethink language to survive the climate crisis
- Welcome to Response and Responsibility, a look at creativity and climate change
- Maurizio Di Iorio tricks the eye with his illusory photography
- With “personality and warmth”, Laura McCluskey turns her lens to those around her
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!