Channel 4 has commissioned Fern, a six minute short film written and directed by Johnny Kelly starring Bafta winning Monica Dolan and produced by Nexus Studios. The short film won Best Comedy Short at Rhode Island Film Festival last week and is now available for our viewing pleasure on Vimeo.
Fern is a wonky black comedy about a woman and a planet who fall in love. Monica portrays a lonely lady devoted to the care of a neglected house plant and their relationship unexpectedly blossoms. Shot over three days in the It’s Nice That favourite’s London home, the director brings his animation prowess to the live action short film in the form of a plant puppet. The short film is comedically paced giving light to the acting excellence of Monica and the idiosyncratic movement of the plant.
The short has travelled internationally from Naples to Australia spreading its light-hearted, black comedy. Johnny is no stranger to film festivals, the Cannes Grand-Prix winner has previously created animations for the likes of Facebook, Chipotle and Apple. We hope that this short live action film is the first of many for a director moving from strength to strength.
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Catalog Press is questioning what a book can be (and maybe it's made of cheese)
- Floriane Rousselot's digital platform Typelab supports and champions the work of young designers
- Photographer Theo Cottle tries to “keep an element of truth” in everything he shoots
- “Stay simple and playful”: Arnaud Aubry talks to us about making his fun and charming work
- Théophile Bartz on his fantastically hypnotic illustrations
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping