One of British design’s most enduring figures has been tasked with revamping one of British life’s most endearing objects.
Sir Kenneth Grange – the product designer responsible for the Anglepoise lamp, the iconic TXI London black cab, and the Kodak Instamatic 33 camera – has unveiled his unusual but ergonomic take on the pint glass.
Two years ago Kenneth found himself sat supping a pint at Hampstead’s Horseshoe pub. An idea began the process of germination. What, he thought, would happen if you combined the dappled rigidity of a helles stein with the slender shape of a pilsner glass?
Yesterday, we found out. Made with London beer big boys Camden Town Brewery, the result is a distinct reimagining one of the more quotidian objects in the British psyche. “When you’ve been looking at pint glasses for more than 20 years, you start to have ideas on how you can change them. Kenneth and I talked about him designing a glass but I never dreamed it would actually happen,” says Camden’s founder Jasper Cuppaidge.
Ungainly but oddly elegant, we’re already looking to getting our hands on one over the weekend. Which shouldn’t be too hard as the Kenneth glass is set to be rolled out into bars, pubs, and restaurants across the UK as of now.
- From documentaries to exhibition design via portraiture and painting, relive June’s Nicer Tuesdays
- Useless is a website mapping out the UK’s zero-waste network
- Material Literacy: Why we need to rethink language to survive the climate crisis
- Welcome to Response and Responsibility, a look at creativity and climate change
- Maurizio Di Iorio tricks the eye with his illusory photography
- With “personality and warmth”, Laura McCluskey turns her lens to those around her
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!