Publishing imprint Ladybird has announced nine additions to Jason Hazeley and Joel Morris’ successful series of comedic and nostalgic pocket-sized books, Ladybird Books for Grown-Ups.
The first of these new offerings How it Works: The Student will be published on 25 August, followed by a further eight releases which will shrewdly and sardonically illuminate such everyday cultural curios as neighbours, grandparents, meetings, pulling a sickie, red tape, cats, dogs and the prospect of zombie apocalypse, on 20 October.
The nostalgic interior and cover artwork used throughout have been extracted from Ladybird and Penguin’s extensive archive of images, giving the series its unifying vintage identity of 1970s child-like scholasticism.
“We’ve been fans of Ladybird since we were old enough to fall over with any dignity. Being allowed to have fun with Ladybird’s astonishing picture archive is a ridiculous privilege – like being the official custard pie supplier to a Buckingham Palace garden party,” explain the authors.
Authors Jason and Joel are not only known for the previous round of ten satirical Ladybird Books for Grown-Ups releases, but also have a pedigree in comedy from their work writing in television on the likes of Cunk on Shakespeare, Murder in Successville and the annual fixture Charlie Brooker’s Wipe.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!