McCann London has created a new ad for Batchelor’s Cup a Soup and its Deliciously Thick range starring Joey Essex from ITV’s The Only Way is Essex. The spot sees a topless Joey saunter into a swish kitchen and make a Cup a Soup backed up by a classical soundtrack.
The ad mimics the trend for adverts to seductively sell any household item as a luxury product like coffee, ice cream and even cat food, but cleverly undercuts the extravagance with Joey’s Tim Nice But Dim reputation for being a little slow-witted. A voiceover declares the soup as “Incredibly tasty. Phenomenally thick,” as Joey smiles and then realises the jibe. A gourmet play from Batchelor’s, the ad remains just relatable enough for us to reach for the kettle.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled