Netflix caused quite a stir when it announced in August 2017 that it had acquired rights to Mark Millar’s (author of Kick-Ass and Kingsman: The Secret Service) comics publishing house, with many (fairly) speculating it would be adapting Millar’s stories into series and/or films. So the stir continued exponentially in November last year when the streaming service said it would be publishing its first printed comic book, The Magic Order, with Millar writing the six-issue series.
Now, an animated trailer for the comic book has been released, revealing the illustrations by French comics artist Olivier Coipel, known for his work on the Thor and House of M books for Marvel. The stories follow five families of magicians sworn to protect our world from forces of darkness, who are being hunted down by a villainous enemy.
The comic book is due for release on 13 June in print and digital formats. Meanwhile, Netflix does plan to develop further series and films with Millar.
- Caterina Bianchini on her three processes when designing posters
- Friday Mixtape: illustrator pals Jan Buchczik and Timo Lenzen on their studio tunes
- B.A.M's new identity for White Cube is an “evolution rather than a revolution”
- Mosh Pit Simulator, perhaps the craziest VR game yet, launches later this month
- Fantastic Man releases What Men Wear, an anthology of male dressing in the 21st Century
- Interior Lives documents the unassimilated lives of the largest Chinese population outside of Asia
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- Betina Du Toit's naturally-beautiful images are “stripped back from the non-essential”
- Giacomo Gambineri on shifting his creative career from graphic designer to illustrator
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice