Netflix caused quite a stir when it announced in August 2017 that it had acquired rights to Mark Millar’s (author of Kick-Ass and Kingsman: The Secret Service) comics publishing house, with many (fairly) speculating it would be adapting Millar’s stories into series and/or films. So the stir continued exponentially in November last year when the streaming service said it would be publishing its first printed comic book, The Magic Order, with Millar writing the six-issue series.
Now, an animated trailer for the comic book has been released, revealing the illustrations by French comics artist Olivier Coipel, known for his work on the Thor and House of M books for Marvel. The stories follow five families of magicians sworn to protect our world from forces of darkness, who are being hunted down by a villainous enemy.
The comic book is due for release on 13 June in print and digital formats. Meanwhile, Netflix does plan to develop further series and films with Millar.
- Experimental photography magazine Bill plays with the notion of the image as a material object
- Thomas Demand in conversation with It’s Nice That
- For Alice Monvaillier, animation is a "pretty magical process"
- My Body Feels Amazing: Elevator Teeth uses words and images to conduct a dialogue with the self
- City Edition Studio creates projects with a soft, collaborative and kind tone of voice
- Jack Smyth talks us through what makes a successful book jacket design
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Youngchae Lee illustrates what “alone time” feels like in large landscapes
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder
- When Hollie Fernando forgot her age, she decided to take her first self-portraits