Pauline van Dongen has designed a one-of-a-kind experimental concept suit for long jump athletes, made from the same material conceived and used by prophylactic manufacturer Skyn for its range of condoms.
Developed to increase stamina and performance, the design pulls aspects of nature, mimicking their shape and function so as to appropriate their athletic advantages and minimise the limitations of the human body.
In this case, small laser-cut flaps inspired by dragonfly wings located on the edges of the suit’s limbs, exploit aerodynamics to give a long jump athlete extra uplift and therefore time and distance in the air.
Pauline’s prototype means to show off the elasticity, light weight and strength of the patented material developed by Ansell, which owns the Skyn condom brand, in an exciting and novel way. The stunt represents an imaginative dedication to stretching the brand experience.
Creative services and advertising firm Sid Lee Amsterdam has produced the accompanying film, directed by Jona Honer, which displays the capabilities of the suit in the hands of a pro-athlete, proffering the possibilities of the material through effective cinematography and use of 360˚ cameras.
- Meet the speakers: Mikey Please, Eliza Hatch, Dylan Griffith and Elisabeth Krohn
- Graphic designer Jad Hussein on ten years of genre-bending work for MAC Lyon
- Studio Claus Due creates exhibition catalogues to fall in love with
- Lee Hardcastle’s gory and brilliant claymation music video for Mark Stoermer
- Artist Adham Faramawy and Mount Kimbie collaborate for the anniversary of Uniqlo Tate Lates
- Bureau David Voss on the visual language it creates for each project
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum