Harvey Weinstein has made an appearance in Hollywood, but this time it’s in the shape of a golden statue made by two artists Plastic Jesus and Joshua “Ginger” Monroe, the latter of which was responsible for the notorious nude Donald Trump sculpture. The latest installation, Casting Couch, depicts a berobed Harvey Weinstein holding an Oscar award strategically close to his groin and beckoning pedestrians to sit next to him.
The 90th Academy Awards ceremony is set to be held this Sunday (4 March) and the two artists have utilised the occasion to shine a light on the film industry’s hypocrisy. The same institutions that have repeatedly covered up sexual assault allegations are now condemning Harvey Weinstein, a producer they have previously awarded.
“The whole couch and the entire image it gives off was, to me, a visual representation of the practices and methods that are used in Hollywood with these big powerful people. They have money and power to give jobs and they use that for their own sexual gratification and there’s no better way to visualise this than the way we did with the casting couch,” Ginger tells The Hollywood Reporter.
This is not the first time an award ceremony has been used as a platform to protest the abuse of power. This year’s Golden Globes saw attendees wearing black to raise awareness about the endemic culture of sexual assault and sexual harassment in the film industry.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice