Port has unveiled its two latest cover stars, Ethan Hawke and Juno Calypso. This is first time the men’s lifestyle magazine has had a woman on the cover.
The cover image shows Juno’s alter ego Joyce submerged in a heart-shaped bath, a familiar setting to those who know her 2015 project The Honeymoon. It forms part of a series shot exclusively for issue 19 of Port, wherein the photographer returns to her memorable series to further explore its dramatic scenery, dark humour and fantastical notions of femininity.
An interview with Juno by Port’s photography director Emma Bowkett – also photography director for FT Weekend magazine – accompanies the set of photos, to give some insight to the project and her creative approach.
Emma writes: “Last year, Juno went on a one-woman honeymoon tour, renting rooms in a love hotel in Pennsylvania while telling those she met that she was a travel writer. Home to a salmon-coloured, heart-shaped bath encircled by mirrors, and a huge circular bed with a skylight, the hotel was the perfect location for Joyce to perform pre-marital fantasies.”
Juno tells Port:“These hotels haven’t changed décor since the 60s. One man designed the whole thing and it’s a mess… a time warp. I thought: surely a million fashion photographers must have used this. But they hadn’t. It was the underdog. That’s what I liked about it.”
Port issue 19 is out 2 November.
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!