Red Bull Music Academy has moved into animation with The Junction, a six-episode series by some of Canada’s most exciting animation talent.
Films by Patrick Doyon, Malcolm Sutherland, Dylan Glynn, Josh Holinaty, Brandon Blommaert, Hamish Lambert and Kyle Mowat bring to life stories about musical collaborations that came about in unexpected and funny ways. The animations are voiced by the musicians themselves and represent a variety in style, creative directed by Booooooom founder Jeff Hamada.
In the first episode Peaches and Chilly Gonzales chat about a basement jam session they had, animated by Oscar-nominated, Montreal-based filmmaker Patrick Doyon.
Kaytranada and River Tiber discuss their shared love for Brazilian music, animated beautifully with crayon drawings by Hamish Lambert.
Brandon Blommaert and Josh Holinaty have created a dreamy 3D animation for the latest episode, released today, in which A-Trak and Nick Catchdubs talk about how their label Fool’s Gold Records came about.
Three episodes are yet to come, featuring discussions between: Lunice, Ango and 247esp, animated by Malcolm Sutherland; Jessy Lanza and Jeremy Greenspan, animated by illustrator Dylan Glynn (4 October); and BadBadNotGood and Samuel T. Herring of Future Islands, animated by Kyle Mowat (6 October).
Watch the first three episodes below.
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Curator Andrea Giunta on her new exhibition Radical Women
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum