Rejoicer, a.k.a. Yuvi Havkin, is an Israeli musician and producer who splices together funk, hip-hop, breakbeats and jazz rhythms, and his latest record is set to arrive on beat-scene stalwarts Stones Throw Records later this month. Which is great, you’re all thinking, but does it come with a suitably wonky visual accompaniment directed by Guy Glikshtein that pairs Russian dolls with high divers?
Yes, it does. “With Purple T-Shirts the big idea for the video was time,” Guy says, specifying that he honed in on non-linear time perception. “Mix in a bunch of seamlessly-looped visual metaphors, in an in and out-of-sync maximalist harmony that evokes more of a feeling than tells a literal story, and you got yourself one (gently) trippy video.”
The pair have collaborated on Yuvi’s album Energy Dreams, with Guy creating a whole raft of video content to go alongside the dreamy, undulating music. And yes, Guy’s visuals are also dreamy and undulating.
“I heard,” Guy says, “that if you watch the video five times after five sleepless nights with five people you don’t care much about, a bouncing eyeball would magically appear and grant you five wishes. Choose wisely.”
We can neither confirm nor deny said rumour, so watch the video below and don’t blame It’s Nice That if your wishes don’t come true.
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Catalog Press is questioning what a book can be (and maybe it's made of cheese)
- Floriane Rousselot's digital platform Typelab supports and champions the work of young designers
- Photographer Theo Cottle tries to “keep an element of truth” in everything he shoots
- “Stay simple and playful”: Arnaud Aubry talks to us about making his fun and charming work
- Théophile Bartz on his fantastically hypnotic illustrations
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping