London mayor Sadiq Khan has withdrawn support for Heatherwick Studio’s Garden Bridge design to begin construction, throwing the future of the project into jeopardy. In a letter sent to the chair of the Garden Bridge Trust he states that the project has “significant hurdles” to overcome before the planning permission expires in December 2017, and is therefore not providing the Mayoral guarantees that would allow the project to happen.
An estimated £37.5m of public money has already been spent on the project’s development.
In his letter, Sadiq outlines the “aggressive schedule” of activities that would have to happen for the bridge to be built. These include reaching agreements on the land use, for which some negotiations have been going on for three years without a result, and the necessary capital funds being raised, of which under half has been secured.
“Pledged funds being lower than two years ago strongly suggests that support for the project is not robust enough to generate the required funds,” he states. “And of course a pledge is not the same thing as a payment into your account.”
He also notes that a review by Dame Margaret Hodge predicted the project would need more public money to complete the construction, and he “would not allow additional taxpayers’ funds that I control to be spent on this project.”
A Heatherwick Studio spokesperson said: “We still believe in the immense public value the Garden Bridge will bring to London and hope to see its mission to create an open-to-all public amenity on the river completed.”
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled