London mayor Sadiq Khan has withdrawn support for Heatherwick Studio’s Garden Bridge design to begin construction, throwing the future of the project into jeopardy. In a letter sent to the chair of the Garden Bridge Trust he states that the project has “significant hurdles” to overcome before the planning permission expires in December 2017, and is therefore not providing the Mayoral guarantees that would allow the project to happen.
An estimated £37.5m of public money has already been spent on the project’s development.
In his letter, Sadiq outlines the “aggressive schedule” of activities that would have to happen for the bridge to be built. These include reaching agreements on the land use, for which some negotiations have been going on for three years without a result, and the necessary capital funds being raised, of which under half has been secured.
“Pledged funds being lower than two years ago strongly suggests that support for the project is not robust enough to generate the required funds,” he states. “And of course a pledge is not the same thing as a payment into your account.”
He also notes that a review by Dame Margaret Hodge predicted the project would need more public money to complete the construction, and he “would not allow additional taxpayers’ funds that I control to be spent on this project.”
A Heatherwick Studio spokesperson said: “We still believe in the immense public value the Garden Bridge will bring to London and hope to see its mission to create an open-to-all public amenity on the river completed.”
- Photographer Daniel Weiss tells the story of the New York he grew up with
- Córdova Canillas seamlessly designs a multi-format furniture catalogue with seven photographers
- The year of the gif: Studio Feixen’s multitude of moving posters
- Veronika Minder's book, Art Décor, explores the life of bon viveur Bob Steffen (NSFW)
- Mainstudio's publications merge conceptual art, architecture and graphic design
- “I like the idea of giving up on trying to do the right thing”: inside the chaotic world of artist Dale Lewis
- Graphic designer Bryan Rivera references mistakes and imperfections in his portfolio
- Adidas releases trainers that are also public transport tickets
- Compare your selfies to fine art through the Google Arts and Culture app’s newest feature
- Practical portfolio advice, from choosing a specialism to solving real problems
- Meet Monkey Type, an international collective bananas about fonts
- The Papier Machine collection of DIY electronic paper toys reinvents the activity book