Sophie covers the 2018 Pride issue of Paper magazine. The Glasgow-born LA-based producer, DJ and artist, who identifies as transgender, is shot by Jason Altaan in a spread promoting her album Oil Of every Pearl’s Un-Insides.
In the issue, she sits down with girlfriend and model Tzef Montana and discusses the impact of David Bowie, Madonna and Prince on her as an artist, her trans identity, and the formula for a pop hit. She says, “An embrace of the essential idea of transness changes everything because it means there’s no longer an expectation based on the body you were born into, or how your life should play out and how it should end”.
“For me, transness is taking control to bring your body more in line with your soul and spirit so the two aren’t fighting against each other and struggling to survive. On this earth, it’s that you can get closer to how you feel your true essence is without the societal pressures of having to fulfil certain traditional roles based on gender”.
The issue and Sophie’s album are both out now.
- Samuel Napper explores the psychologically strenuous period emergency workers face before a disaster
- Photographer Jack Johnstone's dreamy images are so soft they're almost otherworldly
- Remembrance isn’t just for anniversaries: Off The Block raises awareness for those affected by Grenfell
- "A bizarre mix of playfulness and seriousness": photographer Daniel Stier's Bookshelf
- Robert Rubbish on how he tells anecdotal stories of Soho using illustration
- Emotional States: why the theme for 2018's London Design Biennale is more important than ever
- “Create a flag which represents your own Island”: explore culture through design in our latest Insta brief
- Five creatives visually respond to the question: What makes something art, anyway?
- “Unporn” is the photo stock collection for those suggestive, naughty moments
- Suzanne Saroff's meticulously arranged photographs alter perceptions
- KangHee Kim's images are as satisfying to create as they are to look at
- The International Science Council gets a new brand identity