Sophie covers the 2018 Pride issue of Paper magazine. The Glasgow-born LA-based producer, DJ and artist, who identifies as transgender, is shot by Jason Altaan in a spread promoting her album Oil Of every Pearl’s Un-Insides.
In the issue, she sits down with girlfriend and model Tzef Montana and discusses the impact of David Bowie, Madonna and Prince on her as an artist, her trans identity, and the formula for a pop hit. She says, “An embrace of the essential idea of transness changes everything because it means there’s no longer an expectation based on the body you were born into, or how your life should play out and how it should end”.
“For me, transness is taking control to bring your body more in line with your soul and spirit so the two aren’t fighting against each other and struggling to survive. On this earth, it’s that you can get closer to how you feel your true essence is without the societal pressures of having to fulfil certain traditional roles based on gender”.
The issue and Sophie’s album are both out now.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!