Comic-book artist Thomas Ott, graphic designer and art director Jean Widmer, and jewellery designer and artist David Bielander have been awarded the Swiss Grand Award for Design. Selected by the Federal Office of Culture, the award recognises three outstanding designers who have played “a defining role in cultural creativity in Switzerland”.
Swiss, Paris-based graphic designer Jean Widmer is known for creating the visual identity for cultural institutions such as the Centre Pompidou, Musée d’Orsay and Institut du Monde Arabe. Thomas Ott is “a master of storytelling” according to the award curators, creating dark, wordless comics that are “universally comprehensible and visually unmistakeable”. Jewellery designer David Bielander, meanwhile, is known for translating simple everyday objects into “exceptional pieces of artist jewellery”.
The prize is 40,000 Swiss Francs each and a group exhibition, which runs alongside Art Basel and DesignMiami in Basel in June. It is awarded to three creatives the jury considers to be widely-known and impactful on the country’s design industry, exemplifying “the quality and relevance of Swiss design practice nationally and internationally”. It was launched in 2007.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled