Online video platform Topsafe returns to the ICA on Thursday with a selection of short films from some of London’s most exciting up and coming directors curated by Topsafe’s founder Freddie Fraser Forsyth as part of Playback Festival.
Frank Lebon will show his first scripted short Lead, the story of a dog who becomes an unwitting accessory to a murder. From director Calum MacDiarmid a Topsafe-produced prison drama starring MC Grindah based around real-life 1800 Gangstersz Instagram account, while director Hector Dockrill and DOP Deepa Keshvala will be presenting Boys From Hell, an Oldham-based documentary short about young men growing up in Britain’s poorest town. Dan Emmerson shows Gannin Hyem, which the half Geordie, half Basque director tells us is “an old Geordie-ism for ‘going home’. It’s a film about whippet racing, Newcastle and being a Geordie.” Music videos, documentary and fictional shorts from Joseph Bird, Duncan Loudon and Tallulah Hood will also be shown.
The screening will be followed by a panel discussion from Hector and Deepa discussing Boys From Hell, and Frank Lebon, who will talk about his breakout film.
- Luis Alberto Rodriguez photographs use contorted and twisted limbs to express emotion
- Season Zine's Felicia Pennant on how the publication puts female football fans first
- Record label Melody as Truth is carving out a woozy, spacey audio-visual niche
- “Create a flag that represents your own Island” – The amazing entries from the #MyIslandFlag Insta brief
- We ask Nadine Redlich, Wieden+Kennedy and more to visualise their highlights of the World Cup
- Friday Mixtape: Caterina Bianchini's mix to listen to "In your pants! On the bus! Walking! Running!"
- Photographer Jack Johnstone's dreamy images are so soft they're almost otherworldly
- “Unporn” is the photo stock collection for those suggestive, naughty moments
- KangHee Kim's images are as satisfying to create as they are to look at
- Penguin unveils striking series of redesigned Jack Kerouac books
- Veteran designer Sir Kenneth Grange has reconfigured the pint glass
- Sophy Hollington’s striking tarot deck combines mysticism with a glam-punk contemporary twist