In a new film directed by Ryan Hopkinson, Matt Clark, co-founder of United Visual Artists (UVA) takes viewers through some key works by the art practice.
Commissioned by Nowness, the film is the first in a series of three shorts aiming to showcase a range of installations by London-based UVA that “explore concepts of time and nature and ask questions about human experience in the digital age”.
Titled Illuminating: The Shared Experience, the film “examines the use of light as a means to communicate information and misinformation”. For UVA, light has been a medium it has continually used to create art and the act of making it has been a key part of the process for the last 15 years.
Concentrating on the effects of light on an audience, both physically and emotionally, director Ryan and cinematographer Tom Turley feature UVA’s work with British band Massive Attack. Here the film combines “on-the-road footage” with the finished pieces in situ.
A trailer of Illuminating: The Shared Experience is below and to see the full film click here. The next two films in the series will launch 8 March and 22 March on Nowness.
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum